Delaware Park Wednesday--6th Buddy Delp Stakes

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited May 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
3yo colts going 1 70 yards for $50k

#2 STRATOCRUISER, 8-1

ML way out of whack in this race. This late developing colt is one of my favorites, as he keyed a ex tri box back in early march at OP which paid $20k. His next out he was thrown to the wolves in Northern Spur Stakes, but he is good enough to handle these. Trainer Kenny Smith is good at spotting his horses where they can win, and this one is owned by his best client, country singer Toby Keith. He should be forwardly placed behind Keep The Canoli and pounce past the cheap speed on the turn and keep going. This horse will be primed for a big effort, don't know if he will keep the purse money though when the lab tests come back? Just kidding, he will be clean as a whistle!

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    3yo colts going 1 70 yards for $50k

#2 STRATOCRUISER, 8-1

ML way out of whack in this race. This late developing colt is one of my favorites, as he keyed a ex tri box back in early march at OP which paid $20k. His next out he was thrown to the wolves in Northern Spur Stakes, but he is good enough to handle these. Trainer Kenny Smith is good at spotting his horses where they can win, and this one is owned by his best client, country singer Toby Keith. He should be forwardly placed behind Keep The Canoli and pounce past the cheap speed on the turn and keep going. This horse will be primed for a big effort, don't know if he will keep the purse money though when the lab tests come back? Just kidding, he will be clean as a whistle!

Isn't Delaware no holds barred? Or is that Maryland?

BTW hearing some talk about the low-level and claiming trainers in So-Cal targeting Lone Star. I had no idea they ran real races there, outside of a few horses FB gave me a while back.
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    You think he will be near the lead??? If the blinkers going on canoli and he jumps them, I would think 1,4,5 would follow with 2 and 6 hanging out watching if and any speed duels develops. If so they can relax and wait, if not then be riding at the back of a close bunched group. I find it intriguing stratocruiser on got a 73 Breyer for 1:47 flat 1 1/16th is that slow time at OP? 6 coming off a short week and might be dragging last 1/16th. Gotta like your price at 8-1 hope we get every piece and more! Look forward to a nice little race for a slow Wednesday.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Isn't Delaware no holds barred? Or is that Maryland?

BTW hearing some talk about the low-level and claiming trainers in So-Cal targeting Lone Star. I had no idea they ran real races there, outside of a few horses FB gave me a while back.

Lone Star is not a bad place. They hosted a BC years ago. However, the purse structure is pitiful. Many of the outfits that used to go there after Oaklawn closed are now going to Prairie Meadows or Delaware. The state of racing in Texas is not great, but not horrible either. What Baffert/Sadler are to SoCal Assman/Calhoun are to Texas.
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Damn; two horses scratched. Down to a 4 horse field
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Jerman wrote: »
    Damn; two horses scratched. Down to a 4 horse field

Yeah, and we still got 14-1, but got a poor late decision to go outside which cost us the win at a big price. $5.60 place or something like that? We should have had the win as the rail opened up late and the extra distance it took going outside cost us in the neck loss.