No shit.

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited July 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Illinois state racing officials are investigating whether jockeys conspired to throw a race to let a 70-year-old rider potentially make history.

At issue was whether riders in the July 23 race at Fairmount Park near Collinsville east of St. Louis tried to let R.A. "Cowboy" Jones win the race, making him the first known rider to win a Thoroughbred race in seven different decades. Jones ended up finishing second, atop My Kentucky Breeze.

Uriel Lopez won the race aboard Ola D., outdistancing Jones by nearly two lengths.

Patrick Bovenzi is an Illinois state steward investigating the matter. He says everything is being reviewed.
It's not immediately clear how long the probe may take. The track says in a statement the jockeys are independent contractors unaffiliated with the track.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: Fairmount Park Race Being Probed | BloodHorse.com

Here's the chart (I can find the video, but it was a stiff job for sure):

OLA D. hesitated and left the gate a bit awkwardly, was checked behind traffic and altered out nearing the first turn, gradually progressed from inside, went
for the lead from outside on the second turn, drifted out further entering the lane, took over with very little asking inside the last eighth, moved clear and won
as rider pleased. MY KENTUCKY BREEZE angled in going to the first turn, advanced just off the rail on the backstretch, split rivals two wide with three
furlongs left, moved clear leaving the second bend, drifted out some into the lane, was under a steady drive but had to settle for second best.
MAGNIFICENT MANDY soon had the lead, staying off the inside on the first bend, was challenged from inside on the backstretch, angled out further
midway on the backstretch, was three wide into the second turn, lost the lead, stayed outside MY KENTUCKY BREEZE entering the stretch, did not offer
the extra needed but was easily best of the rest. UPTOWN PLAYER away a bit slowly, was checked behind MY KENTUCKY BREEZE nearing the first turn,
angled out, stayed wide on the backstretch, moved in entering the second bend, was two wide leaving that turn and had no late bid. PUCK SCORES without
speed while toward the outside, drifted out some as she backed up through the second turn, came wide into the lane, drifted out upper stretch, was
straightened then lugged in late. RAJULIE displayed early speed from inside but gave way on the second bend.

Fucking guy tried everything to lose.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    51ef030b28940.preview-620.jpg

Eventual winner outside.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    About once a month or so, for the past several years, me and about six of my buddies will spend a few hours at the pool hall on a Tuesday afternoon and play a game we call "LONGSHOT tUESDAY"

Everyone has a number, and the number stays the same, and if your number wins the race--you buy a round. We turn on TVG, and on a Tuesday you will see the worst racing this side of the Turkish Jockey Club. Parx, Suffolk, Turf Paradise, Will Rogers, but, by far the worst is Fairmont in beautiful East St. Louis, Illinois. If you have the favorite at Fairmont, you can rest assured that the next round is not on you!

It's a fun game, but you have to feel for anyone, man or horse, who is stabled at places like Fairmont.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    Why bother investigating?

The stewards’ investigation into the July 23 race at Fairmount Park in which 70-year-old jockey R.A. “Cowboy” Jones rode the runner-up found no conspiracy among jockeys or trainers, although jockey John Lejeune has been suspended 60 days for an apparent lack of effort when finishing third in the subject race.

State steward Jim Lages said Wednesday from the southern Illinois track that Lejeune, who rode Magnificent Mandy, will be the only person penalized for his role in a race won by 1 3/4 lengths by Ola D., ridden by Uriel Lopez. A formal ruling was issued Wednesday with approval from the Illinois Racing Board.

Jones rode the even-money favorite, My Kentucky Breeze, while Lopez won without urging his mount whatsoever. Jones was attempting to become the first jockey in American racing history known to win races in seven different decades.

Lages said Lopez was questioned at length about the matter and was absolved of wrongdoing.

IMO a comical ruling. The winner was under a stranglehold, and we all know it was fixed. So just ignore it for Cowboy's legacy, or ban everyone for life. Not this.