Sunday Plays--2 yo Fillies

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited October 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
I have two that popped up on virtual stable alert that I've been following. One will be a good price, the other short.

Belmont 7th
2 yo fillies mdn $80k 6f Inner Turf
#5 Pieces Of Speight, 5-1

First timer was a $200k FTAug purchase, and was a May foal so this price is even more impressive. (I know others who were involved in the bidding) Owner Bortolazzo sends most to TAP but he sent this one to Juan Colonel. Her works leading up to her debut are top quality and Javier gets on board for debut, another good sign. On paper, this doesn't look like too good of group, so a firster will get my play. Word from NY is that she is very LIVE!

Santa Anita 3rd
$70k Stakes 2yo fillies 6f

#5 Cadron, 5/2

Short field and this one is considered the "Other Baffert entry"
$370k OBS and won her debut at Del Mar in speedy fashion. I talked to some horse folks today at the football game and they say that Westrock is really high on this one. Word is that she lit-up the track on poly, but really got interested when shipped to SA dirt. I don't know who she has been working with, but my guess is that its the best of the west, and she has been more than holding her own. She will be in front, and will have to withstand a fierce challenge from other Baffert horse. Martin Garcia was on board for debut win, but he will stay with the other Baffert runner, as Rafael gets on for Cadron. My guess is that she will take serious money, but 5/2 seems about right?

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    RACE 03
    Horse Date Track Dist Time Surface Cond. Grade
    SMOOVE IT Oct 2 SA 5 :59.1HG M FT B
    Full of run while running away from a barnmate here 34..3, 46.3, 59.3. Quite sharp off the break.---Grade: B
    SPRING MOON Oct 1 SA 4 :46H M FT B
    Sharp finish while best over Hold Everything working a full 5f in 22.4, 58.4. Not the biggest filly in the world but sure tries hard.---Grade: B
    E EQUALSMCSQUARED Sep 28 SA 5 :59.3H M FT B-
    Solid looking solo spin going 35.3, 59.3 working willingly late while encouraged a bit near the wire. Does move like a sprinter; was in blinkers.---Grade: B-
    BAJAN Sep 29 SA 4 :48.4H M FT B
    Still strong breezing up outside Fashion Plate in this pretty looking spin, last 1/4 in 24.0.---Grade: B
    CADRON Oct 4 SA 5 :59.4HG M FT C+
    Again ran off early while clear from Beach Hut but slowed a bunch late in 34.3, 59.3 while clear second best late. Just won't relax.---Grade: C+
    CADRON Sep 22 SA 5 :59.3HG M FT C+
    No settle early while pulling too hard in 23.0, 34.3 modest late under coaxing in 59.4. Has really gone speed-crazy.---Grade: C+