Question for you Horse Guys

TommyLTommyL Member
edited November 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
I'm not what I'd consider a big horse guy, but know just enough to be dangerous (to myself that is). I've been heading to Parx on Black Friday every year, so I just started checking out the card and found the following...

In the 4th race, we've got 25k 2YO Maiden Claimers. One of the horses that's entered is the 1A, Four Cents. Checking him out, he's a first time starter trained by Scott Lake that was sired by Giant's Causeway. That alone would make me take a look at him in this race. Then I notice that he was purchased as a yearling for 200k.

Anyways, my question is how rare is it to see a 200k yearling start off his career in a 25k Maiden Claiming race? Is this a sign that they really don't like him and are sorta giving up on him? Just looking at his sire and the price, he looks completely out of place in this race, and to a relative novice like myself, would seem like an obvious play. But it gets me thinking that something must be up if they're willing to lose him here, and maybe they just don't think very much of him.

Any thoughts that you're willing to share (and if you'd rather not, I certainly understand)?

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    IMO that colt won't run, he will be a scratch. Whats odd is he is owned my Mike Repole and has a bizarre workout patter. Let me ask around to see if I can find anything else.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Was just told this one was entered at Finger Lakes and scratched, I see the same happening again on Friday.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Tommy it does happen sometimes. This past weekend Doug oneil had a firster in for 18k and the purchase price was 100k. Ran 4th I think but it does happen. IMO I tend to stay away from them especially if it is a low tag.