Derby Talk?

jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
edited December 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Is anyone talking about the Derby trail yet? I know Shared Belief is already a favorite, because he's three for three, but I'm wondering what anyone knows about Ria Antonia?

Does anyone think the filly Ria Antonia has a chance against the boys?

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Wayne Lukas sent Strong Mandate out this morning at Oaklawn Park and he reeled off 3f in 34.80.

I'm not sure he is a Derby horse, but he will be prominent in the early Derby preps going one mile to 1 1/16. Brett Calhoun has several on the grounds at Oaklawn and all seem to be top quality. He has a two year old named Son Of Dixie who is getting alot of attention and is being prepped for the Smarty Jones in early January 2014. Said to be a real beast to handle but is quick and shows alot of promise. Kenny McPeek has several on the grounds and it looks like he will have several to pick and choose from.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    John I agree about the Lukas colt. Think he may turn out to be a good one.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Are people taking 8-1 on shared belief to win the derby yet?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2013
    I saw a sheet from William Hill that was listing Shared Belief @ 22/1 to win the Derby, BEFORE he even ran in this past weekend's Futurity (his very first two-turn race, btw). So yeah, he's probably down to 8/1 or something stupid like that.

Edit: Looks like the Wynn is now listing him @ 10/1
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    No way I'd do that at this point. Not after the way Shanghai Bobby let me down last year.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I figured.

Tap it Rich sucks at running straight.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    jjohns7777 wrote: »
    Is anyone talking about the Derby trail yet? I know Shared Belief is already a favorite, because he's three for three, but I'm wondering what anyone knows about Ria Antonia?

Does anyone think the filly Ria Antonia has a chance against the boys?

RA is going to Winter at Fairgrounds, they are going to run her against the boys off the BC race, if she shows well they will continue on the KY Derby trail and if she doesn't show that she belongs she will be routed back to the KY Oaks trail. She is part owned by a good friend of mine Chris Dunn.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I figured.

Tap it Rich sucks at running straight.

Currently listed @ 20/1 to win the Derby (Caesars Palace). LOL.