Interesting debut winner for Pletcher yesterday

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
The horse's name is Hartford, and he got bet down to odds of 1/2 before running off to a 5-length win. Here's what i had on him before the race; might be one to keep an eye on:

Gulfstream - Race 5

#7 Hartford (5/2 ml)

First-time starter for Pletcher has worked heads-up with several winners over the last month, beginning with In Tune (a wire-to-wire winner last weekend) back on Dec 16. He then worked heads-up on Dec 30 with Constitution (also a winner last weekend, at today's very same 7-furlong distance), then followed that up by working last weekend with the unbeaten allowance winner Onlyforyou (2-for-2 lifetime). Hard to say what kind of price we're going to get here (Pletcher also has an uncoupled entrymate in this race, btw), but this one certainly looks extremely live.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    COMMISSIONER for TAP was more impressive than the one above and Constitution that won at odds on last weekend. I would book mark Commissioner as a serious threat moving forward. This one can get the distance with ease and has a stride that SCREAMS future STAKES winner.

Good Luck!!!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Hartford, Constitution, and Zubu are all by Tapit, and were Keeneland sales-toppers. I think Commissioner is from the last crop from A.P. Indy? To be trackside at Palm Meadows on Sunday and Monday watching the TAP runners work is like going to spring training with the '27 Yanks!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Hey John, how's your colt coming along these days?

The one that had surgery last fall and couldn't make it to the races (i forget his name now). Is he back in training? Any chance of him running during the Gulfstream meet?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Morse, by Tapit/Friends Included(Include), 3yo G Apr 2011

He is just now back in training at the Aiken Center. After undergoing a "Seattle Slew" procedure at Rood & Riddle in Oct, 2013, he wintered at Doc Copeland's farm in Paris, Ky. While going thru his stall confinement, he became quite dangerous to be around and was unwilling to work with his crew. We didn't want to do it, since he is by Tapit, but he gave us no choice. Gelded about a month ago. We hope he returns to his Fall 2013 form, when TAP folks thought highly of him. If he does, he will probably re-join TAP barn in NY sometime in late March/early April and look for a msw race at Belmont sometime around mid-May or so? If he doesn't show any promise, I don't know where he will end up. At this point in time and after what we've been through, we just want to get him to the track! Any Track!!!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2014
    Sounds rough. Thanks for the update though, and good luck with him going forward.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Top Billing who Commissioner handled with ease just won for fun in salty ALW at The Stream. Commissioner could be the goods down the road. Well see!!!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    The horse's name is Hartford, and he got bet down to odds of 1/2 before running off to a 5-length win. Here's what i had on him before the race; might be one to keep an eye on:

Gulfstream - Race 5

#7 Hartford (5/2 ml)

First-time starter for Pletcher has worked heads-up with several winners over the last month, beginning with In Tune (a wire-to-wire winner last weekend) back on Dec 16. He then worked heads-up on Dec 30 with Constitution (also a winner last weekend, at today's very same 7-furlong distance), then followed that up by working last weekend with the unbeaten allowance winner Onlyforyou (2-for-2 lifetime). Hard to say what kind of price we're going to get here (Pletcher also has an uncoupled entrymate in this race, btw), but this one certainly looks extremely live.

Constitution is a runner.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Showed up big time today..CP has to get lucky with his 24 points to get in..
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited March 2014
    Yes he is, yesterdays race was big time. You could tell that he was a little uncomfortable early and wanted to be on the front. He then settled in, got some dirt kicked in his face, scraped the paint and outgamed a really nice colt in Wildcat Red. Final time wasn't special, but the track seemed to be playing a bit slow yesterday. Constitution grew up big time in front of our eyes during that race. While I don't think he's the derby winner, I do think he has a hell of a future going forward.
    edited March 2014
    JohnnyPutz wrote: »
    Yes he is, yesterdays race was big time. You could tell that he was a little uncomfortable early and wanted to be on the front. He then settled in, got some dirt kicked in his face, scraped the paint and outgamed a really nice colt in Wildcat Red. Final time wasn't special, but the track seemed to be playing a bit slow yesterday. Constitution grew up big time in front of our eyes during that race. While I don't think he's the derby winner, I do think he has a hell of a future going forward.

The over/under for remaining career races is 2 1/2.
    edited March 2014
    I can see that dirty. I just don't see this outfit having horses last especially that run over that strip on a regular basis. A little rank early but figured it out. I just hope we get good weather from Mother Nature.
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited March 2014
    Well,he is trained by TAP. I see him as much more of a contender for the Preakness than the Derby. Especially with TAP's record at the Derby, and CD in general.
    edited March 2014
    I think his record is over blown. He ran a lot of horses that didn't stand a chance but owners still wanted to run.
    edited March 2014
    rayphil wrote: »
    I think his record is over blown. He ran a lot of horses that didn't stand a chance but owners still wanted to run.

Like Super Saver.