Derby Selections?

MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
edited May 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
Who does everyone like?

I follow an old school system when picking the derby basically favoring in everything from times, workouts, stats n trends. Usually every year it leaves me with 7-8 horses and I usually pick the loser from that. This year leaves me with 2 horses Wicked Strong and Intense Holiday. Not to fond of WS PP and jockey so I'm going with Intense Holiday. Think he's the sneaky TAP horse in the derby. Playing him with Wicked Strong, Samraat (some reason reminds me of Funny Cide) n Medal Count (Like the workouts and turn around in races with this one)

Good Luck

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Prob following this system almost 20 years. Never has left me with this few horses except one year left me with one horse Barbaro. Only 2 times during all these years a horse not in this system has won Giacamo (If he has finished 3rd in his last race would have qualified) and Mine That Bird. Both of these 2 will prob finish 18 n 19. LOL
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Wicked Strong to win
    Chitu to place
    We Miss Artie to show

I've never been very good at picking the Derby, but this year I've changed my method a little bit. I like Wicked Strong because he tends to close well and the Derby seems to favor closers. I like Chitu because of the way he ran last time out and his pole position today. I don't like California Chrome because I think he's likely to get boxed in running from the five position. I like We Miss Artie for the same reason I like Wicked Strong. He closes well.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Greetings All:

I'm playing as follows:

1st - Danza (honestly have been back and forth with him and CC but my deciding factor is the value at this point)
    2nd - California Chrome
    3rd - Ride On Curlin (noticing improvement with him and with Borel on board, we'll just see I guess)
    4th - Candy Boy

Good luck and enjoy the day!
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    I luv California chrome And wicked strong. But CC is my pick

#5 wps
    5 exacta key with 4,10,19,20
    5 tri-key with 4.10.19.20./1.4.10.18.19.20" :toast:

4.5.19.20 tri box
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Well, that will teach me . . . congratulations CC!!!:clap2:
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    California Chrome its wicked strong coming around the turn, wow big wow he's gonna be hard to catch at baltimore, and Belmont. Even though I posted those bets my friend took my advice
    and took CC/ all and did great with the exacta.. 5x...
    2years in a row I pick the Kentucky Derby Winner.:toast:
    LOL this race excites me the best 2minutes in sport.

CC the next 3xCrown winner ....:shrr:
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    KP-HR2k9 wrote: »
    California Chrome its wicked strong coming around the turn, wow big wow he's gonna be hard to catch at baltimore, and Belmont. Even though I posted those bets my friend took my advice
    and took CC/ all and did great with the exacta.. 5x...
    2years in a row I pick the Kentucky Derby Winner.:toast:
    LOL this race excites me the best 2minutes in sport.

CC the next 3xCrown winner ....:shrr:

Great job! CC should take the Preakness easily. Think Wicked Strong will be a handful at the Belmont.
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Good pick, KP-HR2k9

When I look at how well he ran that race, I think you're right. California Chrome looks like the best three year old in the country right now and very well could be a triple crown winner.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    It was a cc & cc ex..
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, that trip that WS had, and still managing to get up for 4th was impressive. He will definitely be a handful in the Belmont.