"Speed Rules" Saturday

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited June 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
Sometimes, we all may spend too much time when handicapping races. Pace figs and the like are great, but a lot of times I just forget what this great sport is all about---namely, who is the fastest horse! I was woefully reminded of this yesterday when Johnny V speed popped the gate on the Wesley Ward 2yo and he left Chocolate Wildcat in his wake. It was an expensive lesson!

With this in mind, I have identified some plays today where I expect the fastest horses to claim the top prize:

EVANGELINE race 8
$300k purse 5f on turf
#5 HEITAI, 7/2, has only had one bad race(Count Fleet at Oaklawn) and now cuts back and gets on a grass turf. Expect 21.2---45 flat and watch this speedster keep going all the way to the winner's circle!

Churchill race 8
2yo fillies $100k purse going 6f
#3 PROMISE ME SILVER, 3-1
Brett Calhoun is very high on this modest Texas bred. Her debut at Lone Star was impressive and she has come back full of herself in the mornings. She could be overlooked at the windows and I expect to get around 9/2. She will probably sit just off a hot pace and come flying late when they turn for home. If she finishes up like she did in her debut, she will be an open daylight winner?

CHURCHILL race 9
Roxelana Stakes $65k f & m 3up 6f
#4 SPEEDINTHRUTHECITY, 5/2
She gets major class relief from last out when she faltered against the likes of Midnight Lucky, Schretzinger, Iotapa, and Judy the Beauty. None of those are in here and this is a play of major proportions! The Assman put her out with minor problems after last summer and she came back at Oaklawn loaded for bear. This qualifies as a FB "Don't leave the windows play"

SANTA ANITA race 8
Summertime Oaks, $200k 3yo fillies 1 1/16
#4 DELTA FLOWER, 5/2
Arkie trainer Stanley Roberts couldn't pass up on the $$$$offered, so she ends up with Jerry Hollendorfer and is one fast filly. Stretch out and two turns won't matter, dam side loaded with El Prado, and she should toy with this group and win in a close finish. C Nak been working her in the mornings and all the connections, past and present, expect a big-time effort!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Comments