Interesting Comment

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited July 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
I was interested in one filly, Sushi Empire, in the Del Mar Paddock sale. She went for a little for than the cash i had on hand, but in reading the sale comments i came across this:

Sushi Empire, winner of this year's Blue Norther Stakes at Santa Anita, was the second-highest price, bringing $275,000. Sweezey and Partners sold the 3-year-old daughter of Empire Maker—Dowell House, by Danzig. Trainer Tevis McCauley of Lexington, Ky., bought Sushi Empire on behalf of his father, Ron, and his brother, Nathan.

"We brought a filly, Mizzilli, out to race (at Del Mar) and take advantage of the Ship & Win program," said McCauley. "Sushi Empire is the one filly that we had our eye on at the sale. We love the pedigree and the fact that she's by Empire Maker. She'll be very well accepted in Kentucky. We'll probably run her the rest of this year and put her in foal next year."

Well, that filly is a maiden claimer, and she hasn't gone yet at Del Mar (I think), so lets see how the race comes up for her...

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2014
    That is interesting, thanks.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    He sure offered up a lot of unsolicited info. Maybe she's ready to go (her trainer when i looked her up was Eric Reed, so this guy just got her privately, i think) or maybe he's really sharp and he wants somebody to read too much into it and claim her. Let's hope Andy Harrington gets a look @ her.
    edited July 2014
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I was interested in one filly, Sushi Empire, in the Del Mar Paddock sale. She went for a little for than the cash i had on hand, but in reading the sale comments i came across this:

Sushi Empire, winner of this year's Blue Norther Stakes at Santa Anita, was the second-highest price, bringing $275,000. Sweezey and Partners sold the 3-year-old daughter of Empire Maker—Dowell House, by Danzig. Trainer Tevis McCauley of Lexington, Ky., bought Sushi Empire on behalf of his father, Ron, and his brother, Nathan.

"We brought a filly, Mizzilli, out to race (at Del Mar) and take advantage of the Ship & Win program," said McCauley. "Sushi Empire is the one filly that we had our eye on at the sale. We love the pedigree and the fact that she's by Empire Maker. She'll be very well accepted in Kentucky. We'll probably run her the rest of this year and put her in foal next year."

Well, that filly is a maiden claimer, and she hasn't gone yet at Del Mar (I think), so lets see how the race comes up for her...

Today's 4th @ del mar. I don't have a form, but apparently the horse isn't a maiden.
    edited July 2014
    I didn't even get to watch the race, but here's the chart lines:

MIZZILLI chased outside then four wide into and on the turn and into the stretch and weakened.

Mizzilli was claimed by Berry Ron, Medina, David, Newman, Roger and Summertime Racing;
    trainer, Hess R B Jr.

I'm pretty sure this one was well meant, as the purse was 28k + 25%, and she took action. Maybe she run a solid one in the future.

Also, I think Ron Ellis claimed a decent type in New Nature today. I'm guessing he either runs once and goes to the shelf, or gets 45 days off right now.