Engineering/Mathematical Approach to Handicapping

MathManMathMan Junior Member
edited August 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
Hi,

I recently discovered this Forum.

A bit about myself:
My background is engineering and its mathematics. A number of years ago, I did research in applying those techniques to handicapping and picking horses.

After about a year of research, I wrote a paper, "Engineering Analysis of Thoroughbred Racing."
As it may be of interest to those here, I'm providing a link to it, and to its Addendum.

I hope you find it useful, and comments about them would be greatly appreciated.

This is the link to the engineering paper:
http://www.revelationprofits.com/docs/Engineering%20Analysis.pdf

The addendum is at:
http://www.revelationprofits.com/docs/addendum.pdf

MathMan

Comments

• nonamenoname Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    So much appreciate your hard work however to handicap putting your work in to practice would only discourage the average horse player or professional horse player. In a sport with dwindling fans we need to keep this sport and wagering on terms where we can grow the fan base. I don't
    know the answer but easier quicker capping would start the process. Old Timers like myself will
    work at it younger fans who love other forms of gambling will not as we see a sport dying a slow
    death.:huh::huh:
  • MathManMathMan Junior Member
    edited August 2014
    noname wrote: »
    So much appreciate your hard work however to handicap putting your work in to practice would only discourage the average horse player or professional horse player. In a sport with dwindling fans we need to keep this sport and wagering on terms where we can grow the fan base. I don't
    know the answer but easier quicker capping would start the process. Old Timers like myself will
    work at it younger fans who love other forms of gambling will not as we see a sport dying a slow
    death.:huh::huh:

Noname,

Thank you for your comments. Yes it truly was hard work, but a very enjoyable experience.
    I agree with you that it would be difficult to handicap from the Engineering Reports alone. As a result, I wrote a program, which is based on the engineering/math and makes it very simple to do handicapping.

As you mention, there is now a younger generation that needs to be addressed to keep the horse racing sport going. They are well versed in computer use, so the program might provide the impetus for them to join in the extremely interesting task of horse race handicapping.

There is an absolutely free version of the program at: CompuTrak Horse Racing and Handicapping Software
    Make sure to click on the free link.

Please let me know what you think of it.
    Thanks.

BTW, I too, as you, am an old timer. :-)

MathMan