Saturday's Saratoga 2yo's

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
A lot of work for nothing, at least initially.

Best thing i can offer is that Royal Son (the Pletcher-trained 2/1 ml favorite in Race 5) appears very beatable. Looks like he's been outworked by two different barnmates, one of whom is entered tomorrow btw.

Another semi-interesting note on a Guillot maiden here; Sir William Bruce's July 22 drill (which was the only one listed as "Handily" at the distance), was nearly 2 fully seconds faster than the next-fastest drill. That being said, there were only five other works at the distance, so who knows.

The Albertrani/Darley entrant (Rimbaud) has been working in a round-robin type scheme with a few other Bernardini-sired horses; would kind of like to see this one run well for future reference.

Not much else of note in Race 5.

In Race 3 however, worth noting that the Graham Motion trainee Strong Coffee appeared to work heads-up from the gate with two other horses upon arriving @ Saratoga (from Delaware) on July 19, one of whom has already won (sprinting). Problem is, that winner hails from the Pletcher barn, so i'm not sure what's up with that.

Motion is exceptional however with horses debuting in routes (flat-bet profit from his last 47 such starters), so this one could very well be live. The other (non-Pletcher, i think) horse in that gate-drill threesome was Biedermeier, fwiw.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    In race 5, take a look at #4 Burndines, 8-1

He has been turning in some pretty good works down at Fair Hill, both on the all-weather and dirt training tracks.
    Javier Castellano gets on this son of Scat Daddy, so you know that agent Matt M thinks he can run a little. This one was a approx. $180 purchase and owner Lieblong sent him to Tony Dutrow as opposed to Hobby, so that would signal that they think he can run. However, if that TAP well-bred breaks sharp from the rail(pp #1) Royal Son, he may be gone? I'm playing w/p/ on #4 and ex bx 1/4/7.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Was looking hard @ Burdines, but couldn't find anything really pertinent. He did work recently with the older Lulu Le'Mon, who was last seen running third in a turf stakes @ Delaware a few weeks ago. Beyond that, he's worked twice each with a couple of different unraced maidens. Could fire here but i'm not overly confident.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited August 2014

In Race 3 however, worth noting that the Graham Motion trainee Strong Coffee appeared to work heads-up from the gate with two other horses upon arriving @ Saratoga (from Delaware) on July 19, one of whom has already won (sprinting). Problem is, that winner hails from the Pletcher barn, so i'm not sure what's up with that.

Motion is exceptional however with horses debuting in routes (flat-bet profit from his last 47 such starters), so this one could very well be live. The other (non-Pletcher, i think) horse in that gate-drill threesome was Biedermeier, fwiw.

What now?
    edited August 2014
    Was just coming back to post about this...

Strong Coffee wins @ $11.00, so probably best to start keeping an eye out for Biedermeier.

Also of note, that big Pletcher favorite (Royal Son) did manage to run a close second, making ones of the horse that outworked him recently (Kinsley, entered tomorrow) very much worth an eyeball.

Unfortunately though, that one is listed @ 2/1 as well.
    edited August 2014
    Was just coming back to post about this...

Strong Coffee wins @ $11.00, so probably best to start keeping an eye out for Biedermeier.

Also of note, that big Pletcher favorite (Royal Son) did manage to run a close second, making ones of the horse that outworked him recently (Kinsley, entered tomorrow) very much worth an eyeball.

Unfortunately though, that one is listed @ 2/1 as well.

Biedermeier has been entered @ Monmouth on Sunday.
    edited August 2014

Upping. Not sure about this one, but let's take a look at the race....
    edited August 2014
    They're betting this Godolphin horse (Zenno) like he the race is already over. 6/1 ml down to 6/5 currently.

Myself, i like the Asmussen horse Bold Conquest. He ran a clear second behind one of the most impressive 2yo winners of the meet (Blame Jim), and has since come back to work h/u with Cinco Charlie, a stakes winner from Churchill who then shipped in and ran third in the Sanford (followed by a 5th in the Saratoga Special after a poor break). Also like the fact that Bold Conquest already has a race under his belt, with today's contest being 6.5 furlongs. Good price right now too, with the Godolphin horse getting hammered.
    edited August 2014
    Bold Conquest wins @ $7.70 :toast:
    edited August 2014
    Bold Conquest wins @ $7.70 :toast:

Such a good bet.
    edited August 2014

Is a 3yo pletcher firster that cost 550k....
    edited August 2014

Biedermeier ran third @ 11/1