Dortmund 60/1 for the Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Just grabbed a Derby sheet @ the Wynn yesterday, and Dortmund (an impressive winner for Baffert last Sunday, who had previously been unlisted) is a predictable 60/1. Off a single maiden spring win in early November.

This is why i hate Derby futures these days. You see an impressive young 2yo (or even an early-season 3yo) that strikes your fancy, and you feel like maybe taking a gamble on him. But you can't, because even 6 months before Derby Day, there's no value on him. Pretty sad.

Also of note, the sheet is listing his "opening price" as 150/1. So, on the very first sheet that he appears on, he somehow has been dropped from 150/1 down to 60/1 before the sheet was ever printed? I call bullshit. The only was this could happen is if Avello started taking bets on this horse before the sheet came out, and knowing he operates these days, i would be totally shocked if he ever offered anyone 150/1 on this horse (not that he doesn't deserve to be that high, or even higher, this far ahead of the race and with no two-turn starts to his credit).

Btw, if you guys are interested in any other horses, give me a name and i'll let you know if they're on the sheet or not (and what their listed price is). Sheet dated November 8th.

Comments