Holy Bull--Who You Like?

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited January 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Road to the Derby(Ky.) keeps rolling along this Saturday with the Holy Bull going at Gulfstream. A few more points are at stake and some of the big names are sitting this one out? No TAP runners--- but I guess Todd feels like his top tier can score at will? We'll see!

Back in September, Nick Zito and I had a talk one morning at the Garden City Hotel and I asked him to throw me a bone. FRAMMENTO, is the horse Nick gave me and he was a next out winner at Keeneland. Moved to CD and got a questionable ride from BJ Hernandez. Moved to Florida and picked up the services of Luis Saez and has looked good running behind runaway winners like Bluegrass Singer, who will set the pace on Saturday(he was cross-entered in the Hutcheson going 7f but opts to go in the Holy Bull.)

Kiaran's colt draws the rail and will have to go, as will several others, so Bluegrass Singer will not be out front alone without pressure. FRAMMENTO is not a early speed type, but he is far from a closer type. It should set up good for him and I hope so, because the road to the Ky Derby is always more fun when Zito has a horse!

WHO DO YOU LIKE?

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    thought decision day was interesting. never ran on dirt but i trust josie and johnny v..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2015
    I think Bluegrass Singer looks pretty tough if he can handle two turns.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Upstart on my end!!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Upstart on my end!!

Looked to be any type... For Violette, too.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    looked good..
    edited January 2015
    Worth mentioning that Texas Red (and i suppose Carpe Diem) was/were flattered when Upstart returned to win the Holy Bull Stakes in impressive fashion today.

Worth noting also, I read this morning that Upstart's trainer (Richard Violette) was 1-for-48 starting horses in a route when coming off a 2-months-or-greater layoff. So the fact that Upstart was able to come back in such sharp form today was really a testament to his obvious natural ability. Looks like a really nice prospect moving forward.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Worth mentioning that Texas Red (and i suppose Carpe Diem) was/were flattered when Upstart returned to win the Holy Bull Stakes in impressive fashion today.

Worth noting also, I read this morning that Upstart's trainer (Richard Violette) was 1-for-48 starting horses in a route when coming off a 2-months-or-greater layoff. So the fact that Upstart was able to come back in such sharp form today was really a testament to his obvious natural ability. Looks like a really nice prospect moving forward.

Yeah, that's what my "for Violette" comment was trying to say (without all those facts). I was really impressed.
    edited January 2015
    Upstart had run a really nice race in the BC Juvenile last year. Watched the replay last night when i was handicapping the race, and was really impressed with him. I couldn't back him at a favorite's price (though i think Frosted went favored today?) after seeing that Violette stat. I bet Bluegrass Singer to win, and then boxed him with Upstart. First and third, of course.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Road to the Derby(Ky.) keeps rolling along this Saturday with the Holy Bull going at Gulfstream. A few more points are at stake and some of the big names are sitting this one out? No TAP runners--- but I guess Todd feels like his top tier can score at will? We'll see!

Back in September, Nick Zito and I had a talk one morning at the Garden City Hotel and I asked him to throw me a bone. FRAMMENTO, is the horse Nick gave me and he was a next out winner at Keeneland. Moved to CD and got a questionable ride from BJ Hernandez. Moved to Florida and picked up the services of Luis Saez and has looked good running behind runaway winners like Bluegrass Singer, who will set the pace on Saturday(he was cross-entered in the Hutcheson going 7f but opts to go in the Holy Bull.)

Kiaran's colt draws the rail and will have to go, as will several others, so Bluegrass Singer will not be out front alone without pressure. FRAMMENTO is not a early speed type, but he is far from a closer type. It should set up good for him and I hope so, because the road to the Ky Derby is always more fun when Zito has a horse!

WHO DO YOU LIKE?

Zito said FRAMMENTO will don the hood next out in the FOY. He stated to DRF he's better than that. Well see!!! He wants to be up much closer.