Live 20/1 shot today, i think

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Race 6 @ Gulfstream, #11 Black Lab

black_lab_eyes.jpg

Bear in mind that this horse is trained by George Arnold, who very rarely wins with firsters (0-for-17 over the last 13 months). But also be aware that this horse worked heads-up 3 straight times with Improv, who came out of those drills to run a very close second (less than a length) in a similar race a couple of weeks ago. He also worked wit Improve (a 4th time) since that race. No real reason this horse shouldn't run well today.

Be advised however, #14 Khozan (a million-dollar 2yp purchase for Pletcher) looks like a tough nut to crack. Worked heads-up twice in a row with Outlash, who won a similar race a couple of weekls ago (visible in the PP's of #6 Face Of Winner, who btw also looks quite tough here). Khozan also tied for the fastest furlong (9.4) at the Fasig-Tipton sale in March. Tough post, but there's a long run into the turn here, so not overly concerned about it.

Good luck today, guys...

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I'm on Wisecrakcer and Thrist for Glory in this race. Looks like a boxcar IMO!
    edited January 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »

Nice work DC and fb.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »

Quick note regarding Wisecracker. Going into today's race, he was coming off a heads-up drill with Pin Up. That one is entered tomorrow.
    edited January 2015
    Incidentally, Black Lab went off @ 80/1 today. Unless i'm mistaken, that's the longest-price horse i've ever backed.
    edited January 2015
    Also, might as well mention it now, the impressive winner Khozan worked twice in a row recently with an unraced colt named Vandalize. Tab for later.
    edited January 2015
    Quick note regarding Wisecracker. Going into today's race, he was coming off a heads-up drill with Pin Up. That one is entered tomorrow.

Just got done handicapping the race, and i'll definitely be on Pin Up tomorrow. As best as i can tell, the two Pletcher entrants (the top two favorites on the morning line, of course) don't represent his A-team. Could be wrong about that, but we shall see. Most interesting to me (aside from Pin Up) is the Mark Casse-trained Delightful Melody, who has been worked with a couple of older winners (who aren't in the best of form, but probably still a good sign).

Btw, Pin Up is a daughter of Tapit, out of the champion filly Cara Rafaela (making her a half-sister to Bernardini, nice). Also note that McLaughlin is using Leparoux, with whom he's hitting 54% from 13 mounts over the last 13 months (including 3-for-5 at Gulfstream).
    edited January 2015
    Just got done handicapping the race, and i'll definitely be on Pin Up tomorrow. As best as i can tell, the two Pletcher entrants (the top two favorites on the morning line, of course) don't represent his A-team. Could be wrong about that, but we shall see. Most interesting to me (aside from Pin Up) is the Mark Casse-trained Delightful Melody, who has been worked with a couple of older winners (who aren't in the best of form, but probably still a good sign).

Btw, Pin Up is a daughter of Tapit, out of the champion filly Cara Rafaela (making her a half-sister to Bernardini, nice). Also note that McLaughlin is using Leparoux, with whom he's hitting 54% from 13 mounts over the last 13 months (including 3-for-5 at Gulfstream).

That's hard work. Here I am with double vision trying to see the animals in Korea or whatever I'm betting...
    edited January 2015
    Be advised however, #14 Khozan (a million-dollar 2yp purchase for Pletcher) looks like a tough nut to crack. Worked heads-up twice in a row with Outlash, who won a similar race a couple of weekls ago (visible in the PP's of #6 Face Of Winner, who btw also looks quite tough here). Khozan also tied for the fastest furlong (9.4) at the Fasig-Tipton sale in March. Tough post, but there's a long run into the turn here, so not overly concerned about it.

Update on Khozan (from Pletcher):

Gulfstream Park News & Notes

01/25/2015
    Khozan Lives up to ‘Big-Time Pedigree’ in Saturday’s Maiden Score

Wilkes Anticipates Next Step for Gorgeous Bird

Good News for Wildcat Red

HALLANDALE BEACH, FL - Al Shaqab Racing’s Khozan set the tone for Saturday’s sensational stakes action with a dazzling maiden score that lived up to a “big-time pedigree.”

A half-brother to three-time Eclipse champion and two-time Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic (Distaff) winner Royal Delta, the 3-year-old son of Distorted Humor registered an eye-catching 3 ¾-length victory that was awarded a 102 Beyer Speed Figure in Saturday’s sixth race, which was followed by five stakes, including the $400,000 Lambholm South Holy Bull (G2).

Khozan was purchased with a $1 million winning bid at the Fasig-Tipton Florida 2-year-olds in training sale last March.

"We expected a good performance. He’d been training well. A horse like that with a big-time pedigree you have high hopes for,” Trainer Todd Pletcher said. “We felt positive coming into this race off his last few works, but you’re always looking forward to getting them started and seeing how they can do.”

Khozan had to break from the far-outside post against 13 rivals, including highly regarded Kiaran McLaughlin-trained Wisecracker, but was able to attain solid stalking position along the backstretch before making a sweeping move toward the leader under jockey Javier Castellano on the turn. Wisecracker, a first-time starter ridden by Irad Ortiz Jr., got the jump on Khozan, but the Pletcher-trained 9-5 favorite made a powerful run in the stretch to draw off to a most promising maiden victory. Khozan ran seven furlongs in 1:23 63.

“I think the logical move is to come back in an allowance race going longer and go from there,” Pletcher said.

The 11-time defending Champions Meet training titlist said patience paid off with Khozan’s thoroughly professional victory.

“He had some baby stuff at 2, and he has a pedigree that suggests he was going to get better as he got older. We just kind of took our time,” Pletcher said. “Al Shaqab is very patient. They bought a nice horse and they were in no rush with him, so we just kind of waited until he told us he was ready. He showed us it was the right time after his last couple works. He showed up and ran up to expectations.”

Does Pletcher think Khozan can play catch-up in time to make it to Louisville, Ky. on the first Saturday in May?

“It’s January 24 and he just made his first start – that would be against him a little bit,” Pletcher said. “We’ll let him guide us in the right direction.”
    edited February 2015
    Also, might as well mention it now, the impressive winner Khozan worked twice in a row recently with an unraced colt named Vandalize. Tab for later.

Vandalize is entered tomorrow @ Gulfstream.
    edited February 2015
    Here's a look at his breeze from the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale in May (one tick off the show's best):

Fasig-Tipton | Fasig-Tipton TV
    edited February 2015
    Vandalize is entered tomorrow @ Gulfstream.

Nice effort by Vandalize today. Missed by about a length @ 9/1.
    edited February 2015

Pin Up is entered back tomorrow (and the second time in a row she's been entered the day after Wisecracker; interesting). Might be worth a look here @ 10/1 ml. I just watched the replay of her disappointing debut race, and she did make a decent little run during the middle part of the race, so i don't think she's completely hopeless here. Couldn't really make out anything during the early part of the race that caused her to lose so much ground though. Mike Welsch is claiming she got shuffled back, and i didn't really see that (not anything obvious), but i never got to look at the head-on, so i guess it's possible.

Btw, regarding that workout with Wisecracker (who would've been a heavy favorite today if they hadn't cancelled the remainder of the card), Pin Up came out of her race to work a best-of-38 bullet in 47 2/5 seconds (encouraging, obviously), while Wisecracker posted a five-furlong drill in 1:01 flat that very same day. So it's possible (i guess) that they worked together there as well.

Btw FB, i'd love to see a report on Pin Up if you've got one.

This is of course assuming that they actually run the card tomorrow. Speaking of which, i think it's worth noting that Pin Up's mom (Cara Rafaela) was a bit of a mud lark if i remember correctly, so a sloppy or muddy track might possibly be to Pin Up's advantage. I wouldn't be upset if the track comes up wet.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    PIN UP

Feb. 22 – Was going very easily through total
    maintenance splits of 25.60, 52.80, and out
    1:07.40. RATING: C+

Feb. 15 – Inadvertently broke five lengths behind
    Rum Point and was just going easily finishing a
    length back in a decent half-mile clocking. RATING:
    B-
    edited March 2015