Firing Line Done For 2015

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited July 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
I was just told that Firing Line is on the shelf the remainder of the year. Looking forward to his 2016 campaign.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Firing Line worked out again today as he prepares for his long-awaited comeback.

The Wynn has actually dropped him to 20/1 (from 25/1) to win the Breeders Cup Classic, which is ridiculous considering the horse hasn't run in over a year (and was badly beaten the last time he did run).

Incidentally, Dortmund is only being offered @ 10/1, and he can't even stay on the track. Good luck taking that kind of price on him to win a race that's still 5 months away.

Others are even lower. The whole thing is pretty much a joke.

One price did kind of stick out at me though. Melatonin @ 75/1? Locally based, and he already owns an impressive win at the track and distance. He's not out of the question...
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Melatonin ran a very good 2nd to Effinex in the Oaklawn Hdc. A lot of people think Effinex is the best older Hdc. horse in the country running today? He's not out of the question, even if he is 75-1!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Melatonin was my daughter and her boyfriend play in our show parlay on Ark Derby Day. We had the pool up to around $900 but I was making the bet and I went with Blofeld, who runs 4th! Melatonin would have returned on $900 show about $1k to all who got in for a $5 investment. Should have listened to the youth!
    edited June 2016
    Creator now down to 25/1 for the Classic.

Exaggerator doesn't run a lick, but his odds remain unchanged (of course). He's 8/1.

Incidentally, Frosted is now down to 7/1, although after his huge performance on the Met Mile, i would think that he's probably more likely for the Dirt Mile?

Note: The Met Mile is one turn, of course, so not exactly the same thing.
    edited June 2016
    One price did kind of stick out at me though. Melatonin @ 75/1? Locally based, and he already owns an impressive win at the track and distance. He's not out of the question...

Melatonin still 75/1 as of this morning. I didn't bet it, but I'm probably foolish not to.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Melatonin still 75/1 as of this morning. I didn't bet it, but I'm probably foolish not to.

Ouch. He kinda makes his own trip and keeps going. There anchor swears he wants further.
    edited June 2016
    edited July 2016
    Firing Line has been entered in an allowance race on Saturday. Looks like they want to give him a prep before the San Diego.

Actually the timing is pretty odd. The San Diego is run on July 23, just two weeks later?
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Firing Line has been entered in an allowance race on Saturday. Looks like they want to give him a prep before the San Diego.

Actually the timing is pretty odd. The San Diego is run on July 23, just two weeks later?

Pacific Classic or Saratoga.
    edited July 2016
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Pacific Classic or Saratoga.

I read today they were considering the Whitney @ Saratoga.

That was before today...

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2016/7/9/4/race-4-aoc-at-sa-on-7-9-16

Ouch. No idea what happened to him out there, i can only speculate that he simply wasn't ready to run (and spotted the leaders too much ground while getting boxed in a little bit along the rail). Either that or he got hurt again. No clue.

I mentioned to a friend of mine after the race though, that if Firing Line indeed shows up @ Saratoga for the Whitney (after today's debacle), then i would consider him a major threat in that race. Because it would be a gigantic sign of confidence from Callaghan to put him on a plane and ship him out there for that race after what we saw today. So if he shows up, you'd have to expect that he'll be in tremendous shape and ready to run.

All that being said, i would consider that to be very unlikely at the moment.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    If he came back in good order then he does not lose by double digits..read several people say that he had a lot of extra weight on...wouldn't be surprised if he retires after this..
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Here's what Simon said on Twitter

Thanks to all concerned about Firing Line's subpar run today. He scoped dirty and had lots of mucus. We will be patient before next run.