Lack of respect for Cole and the Pirates

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
As great as Jake Arrieta has been recently (and he has been truly great), it's still awfully hard for me to see Gerrit Cole and the Pirates being +120 underdogs at home in Tuesday's NL Wild Card game.

I think a large part of this is due not only to the imposing presence of Arrieta, but also the Cubs' popularity in general. The Pirates are the better, more experienced (and certainly more playoff-experienced) club, and Gerrit Cole is anything but a pushover. I think the Pirates are a coin-flip here at worst.

FWIW, i favor taking the Pirates +1.5 runs (which i've seen as low as -150), especially with this expected to be a very tight, low-scoring affair (the total is listed @ 5.5 runs).

Whatever the result, should be a fantastic game to watch. Looking forward to it...

:eating:

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    wow...+120 for the home team...interesting..I think it will be a 2-1 or 3-2 type of game..
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    I've got a $50 wager on Cubs to win it all at 18-1. Do I hedge it and play Pitt for this series?
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    i wouldnt..it is only a 1 game playoff..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    I've got a $50 wager on Cubs to win it all at 18-1. Do I hedge it and play Pitt for this series?

No way you can hedge. Even if the Cubs beat the Pirates, you still need them to win 3 consecutive series (NLDS, NLCS, World Series) in order to cash your ticket.
  • MakersMakers Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Mikenyce wrote: »

For the most part, excluding injuries etc...hedging is a book makers dream..The only consideration I would slightly entertain... Pitt RL
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    rayphil wrote: »
    i wouldnt..it is only a 1 game playoff..

Goes to show you how much I pay attention to baseball. I might play Pitt for $50
    edited October 2015
    I also like the First Five Innings under 3, -140. Very hard to see 4 runs being scored in just the first half of the game alone. Could happen, but probably won't.
    edited October 2015
    Tough beat on the 5th inning home run by Fowler.