Risen Star Stakes

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
Just a quick note, Gun Runner worked heads-up from the gate (Feb. 8) with the multiple stakes-winning filly Stageplay, who is the 7/5 ml favorite in today's Rachel Alexandra Stakes (Race 9). So you can probably upgrade that one's chances if Stageplay posts an impressive win.

Thinking about betting this one. He should be a nice price, and has reportedly been training very well over the local surface (and thus, may well show improved form, especially since he's had almost 3 months to grow since last seen on the racetrack). Also, may not have liked the mud last time (when beaten by Airoforce and Mo Tom, both entered here), not that he ran poorly or anything.

Who do you guys like in this race?

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Tom Amoss is a very underrated trainer IMO..His horse mo Tom maybe the real deal. Should get a nice pace to run at and I'm thinking about playing zapperini underneath at a huge number..
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm going to play around with 2--4--6--12
    #4 is the SoCal shipper who looked good in last when stretched out to a mile. Low-key connex ---you wouldn't think an outfit like this would ship unless they liked their chances. The Assman Gun Runner has a recent workout pattern unlike any you will ever see from his stable? Amoss is giddy over Mo Tom and Uncle Walter has been well thought of for a while--Ramsey/Maker and Javier spell real contender!
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Airoforce quite a versatile horse, wins with ease to today unless julien takes a dive as the gates open crooked bastard.

I believe one of these 3 wins the derby

Nyquist
    Airoforce
    Mohaymen

GOOD luck today fellers!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Gun Runner wins @ $12.20 :toast:
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2016
    I thought Mo Tom took a nice step forward as a Derby contender today. Strong finish despite a very rough checking incident around midstretch. Lost momentum, had to gather himself, then swung way out (costing himself more time) and started coming on again. Unfortunately, that same kind of traffic trouble tends to happen to deep closers in the Derby. Not sure his running style is going to do him any favors there. Still though, it was an impressive performance. May well have won the race with a clean trip.