Cupid scratched from San Felipe....headed to Rebel?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
The $900,000 gray son of Tapit trained by Bob Baffert was scratched after working six furlongs Friday in a bullet 1:11.60 under Mike Smith.

Baffert said Cupid’s next race would be “somewhere out of town.”

Comments

• Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Yes, BB stated that is where he is going!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Polamalu43 wrote: »
    Yes, BB stated that is where he is going!

I could be wrong, and probably am, but I think Oaklawn limits starters to 14? We could very well see 14 go at it next Saturday. Whitmore is scheduled to work soon but I am told Moquett is waiting to see how the track dries out. So far this year at Oaklawn, the shippers who have come in without many works or a race have been a little bit behind the eight ball. We'll see?

In today's Honeybee, 3yo fillies going 1 1/16 for $200k, the Assman will send out two who will take all the money. I'm taking a flier on #6 Marqee Miss, who is a modest $20k purchase by Cowboy Cal, but she has shown that heart in her two starts this year over the OP strip. ML is 3-1 but I think 9/2 is more realistic given the Assman twosome. Marqee Miss has that quality that you look for in a horse, she just wants to be first!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    I could be wrong, and probably am, but I think Oaklawn limits starters to 14? We could very well see 14 go at it next Saturday. Whitmore is scheduled to work soon but I am told Moquett is waiting to see how the track dries out. So far this year at Oaklawn, the shippers who have come in without many works or a race have been a little bit behind the eight ball. We'll see?

In today's Honeybee, 3yo fillies going 1 1/16 for $200k, the Assman will send out two who will take all the money. I'm taking a flier on #6 Marqee Miss, who is a modest $20k purchase by Cowboy Cal, but she has shown that heart in her two starts this year over the OP strip. ML is 3-1 but I think 9/2 is more realistic given the Assman twosome. Marqee Miss has that quality that you look for in a horse, she just wants to be first!

On an added note, check out Ingrid Mason's attire. If this babe has on her short skirt and boots--Look out--she is dressed for a winner's circle picture!
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Let us know how she is dressed!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Cupid was listed @ 12/1 in the San Felipe.

Now, he's listed @ 7/2 in the 14-horse Rebel. Good grief.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Seems logical considering Bafferts record. Who knows if he's even decent, though.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    My money's on Suddenbreakingnews. I know he's 3-1 and breaking out of the 12 hole, but he's a closer so that post shouldn't matter.
    That last race he had was awesome......
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    cinfront wrote: »
    My money's on Suddenbreakingnews. I know he's 3-1 and breaking out of the 12 hole, but he's a closer so that post shouldn't matter.
    That last race he had was awesome......

Take note of the weight shifts, Suddenbreakingnews giving all the weight this race and last time he was in the lightest!
    edited April 2016
    Nice effort by Suddenbreakingnews to get himself into the Derby field. Looks like he's got a legit shot in there if he's lucky enough to get a clear trip.

Meanwhile, what the hell happened to Cupid? Was it just the fast fractions, or something else? I can understand him getting tired and fading after what was a pretty ridiculous pace, but he sure threw in the towel pretty early (he couldn't even get past the pacesetter Gettysberg). I feel like he should've hung in there longer than he did. Gotta think perhaps there was something else going on there.

Still like his chances in the Derby if he's able to bounce back to a top effort, but who knows if he's even healthy at this point. I'll probably be watching him as close as anyone over the next few weeks leading into the race...
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Nice effort by Suddenbreakingnews to get himself into the Derby field. Looks like he's got a legit shot in there if he's lucky enough to get a clear trip.

Meanwhile, what the hell happened to Cupid? Was it just the fast fractions, or something else? I can understand him getting tired and fading after what was a pretty ridiculous pace, but he sure threw in the towel pretty early (he couldn't even get past the pacesetter Gettysberg). I feel like he should've hung in there longer than he did. Gotta think perhaps there was something else going on there.

Still like his chances in the Derby if he's able to bounce back to a top effort, but who knows if he's even healthy at this point. I'll probably be watching him as close as anyone over the next few weeks leading into the race...

Just so lackluster. I'll let him beat me. He could.
  • TurferGirlTurferGirl Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Cupid out of the kd having surgery today for trapped epiglottis.
    edited April 2016
    TurferGirl wrote: »
    Cupid out of the kd having surgery today for trapped epiglottis.

Yeah. I figured it had to be something. He wouldn't have run that poorly unless there was some type of problem.

Supposedly this is "minor" and the Preakness is still on the table. Not that the Preakness does me any good. :cry:
    edited July 2016
    Cupid is entered in the Indiana Derby this weekend.