Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Ouch.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/212018/suddenbreakingnews-now-official-ridgling

And check out the comment below the article. Double ouch.
    edited June 2016
    Some nice quotes from Von Hemel here:

Trainer Donnie Von Hemel said the Mineshaft ridgling, yet another who likes to come from well back in his races, is well-prepared for the Belmont.

"I'm excited to bring this horse up there because I think the horse has a real chance," Von Hemel said. "I'm looking forward to Saturday. You always think your horse is peaking at the right time and is the best he can be when you go into a race like this, but we're very happy with the way he's doing. We wouldn't be coming otherwise."
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Even more telling is the fact that Little Donnie Von Hemel got his connex to pay for a Tex Sutton charter to New York. I guarantee you this is the first time a Von Hemel horse was not vanned.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    Even more telling is the fact that Little Donnie Von Hemel got his connex to pay for a Tex Sutton charter to New York. I guarantee you this is the first time a Von Hemel horse was not vanned.

I got word from a little birdie that certain Kentucky folks are planning on dropping some serious jack on Upstart in the Met Mile on Saturday. Also, Assman's NY guy, Toby Sheets, was overheard telling someone that Upstart looked as good as any horse on the grounds in his last couple of works.
    Post draws on Wednesday and I'll be anxious to see the opening odds? I'm thinking somewhere around 10-1?
    edited June 2016

Interesting note, thanks.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    I got word from a little birdie that certain Kentucky folks are planning on dropping some serious jack on Upstart in the Met Mile on Saturday. Also, Assman's NY guy, Toby Sheets, was overheard telling someone that Upstart looked as good as any horse on the grounds in his last couple of works.
    Post draws on Wednesday and I'll be anxious to see the opening odds? I'm thinking somewhere around 10-1?

20-1 ML on this nag.
    edited June 2016
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    20-1 ML on this nag.

Trainer Rick Violette, who worked multiple graded stakes winner Upstart with blinkers for the first time two breezes back and adds them for the race, was also confident.

“He's super. The race is almost getting here too slowly because he's been so good for a while. We're ready to roll,” said Violette. “This is going to be a pretty bulky field, but I think it's going to be a wide-open race. It's going to be a bit of a trip race.

“I hope adding the blinkers does the trick. When I put them on for that work, he breezed like a freak. He went a half [mile] in 46 [seconds], on the bridle and feet on the dashboard. He had gotten into the habit of just falling out of the gate and loping into the first turn and taking whatever seat was left at the table rather than taking position. Hopefully, the blinkers will help him leave there running to where he can take his position and the jockey can ride his race from there,” he added.
    edited June 2016
    I was very happy to see SBN listed @ 10/1 morning line today. That'll really help the matchup prices.

Out here in Vegas, he had been listed as the clear second choice (between 4/1 and 5/1) at both Westgate and the Wynn.
    edited June 2016
    If Upstart had pulled it off, i would've hit the Pick 3 going to Creator.

I whiffed on Suddenbreakingnews. Pretty shocked that he didn't fire today. I thought the race set up perfectly for him. Maybe just didn't handle the surface. Never looked comfortable out there.
    edited June 2016
    If Upstart had pulled it off, i would've hit the Pick 3 going to Creator.

I whiffed on Suddenbreakingnews. Pretty shocked that he didn't fire today. I thought the race set up perfectly for him. Maybe just didn't handle the surface. Never looked comfortable out there.

My father texted me his tickets earlier. Had $10 win Toms Ready, $10 win Celestine, $10 win Frosted. End up being a $700 pick 3. Told him he left a little $ on the table. He replied by having the Belmont exacta in a 3 horse box.
    edited June 2016
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    My father texted me his tickets earlier. Had $10 win Toms Ready, $10 win Celestine, $10 win Frosted. End up being a $700 pick 3. Told him he left a little $ on the table. He replied by having the Belmont exacta in a 3 horse box.

Awesome! :toast: