Two plays for Saturday @ Saratoga (7/30)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
Saratoga - Race 1

#6 Impressive Edge (8/1 ml)

Second-time starter for Asmussen comes in off a terrible debut performance, but several things catch the eye here. First off, note this guy got bet down to 4/5 odds in that race. That might not mean a whole lot, considering it was just a 6-horse field, and Asmussen firsters tend to get bet pretty hard @ Churchill anyway, but it's still a generally positive sign. Secondly, the race came over a sloppy track, so you can rightfully just throw it out and give him a clean slate on dry land. Thirdly, Asmussen has a long history at this meet of doing well with second-time starters shipping in from Churchill. So here's where it gets more interesting - in 2 of his last 3 drills, he outworked an unraced barnmate (one of those being Reckling, who is entered in Race 3 today). In the other drill (dated 7/19), he and Reckling worked heads-up in a team drill with the 3yo Gettysburg, who hasn't been winning lately, but has been entered in races like the Arkansas Derby and Belmont Stakes. Sure seems like there's more here than meets the eye, so at the big morning line price of 8/1, i think he's worth a shot. Incidentally, Geroux gets the call here, and it looks like he's 1-for-1 with Asmussen at this meet.

Saratoga - Race 3

#1 Kahramani (9/2 ml)

2yo firster for Pletcher worked heads-up from the gate on 7/7 with One Liner, who came out of that drill to win his debut here on opening weekend. Following that, in the 7/16 drill it appears that Kahramani may have outworked barnmate Super Surprise (looks that way but i can't confirm), who also won on opening weekend, taking an allowance race off a lengthy layoff after having won a stakes @ Belmont in her prior start last October. Also of note, both those winners had Velazquez in the irons, and here he is again. Possibly a bad rail draw here, but if he's got the speed to shoot out to the front (let's hope so), it could work out fine. Note: i read somewhere a few weeks ago that Barclay Tagg had a full brother to Tale of Ekati that's supposed to be pretty good, and that would be #3 Tale of Silence (3/1 ml). Looks like word may be out because he's listed as the favorite here (not counting the other Pletcher horse on the AE list). Whatever, if that one gets bet hard, then i get a better price on Kahramani (whom i like better anyway).

HRT record:

97 for 365 (27%)

$827.80 mutuels ($8.53 avg)

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Saratoga - Race 1

#6 Impressive Edge (8/1 ml)

Second-time starter for Asmussen comes in off a terrible debut performance, but several things catch the eye here. First off, note this guy got bet down to 4/5 odds in that race. That might not mean a whole lot, considering it was just a 6-horse field, and Asmussen firsters tend to get bet pretty hard @ Churchill anyway, but it's still a generally positive sign. Secondly, the race came over a sloppy track, so you can rightfully just throw it out and give him a clean slate on dry land. Thirdly, Asmussen has a long history at this meet of doing well with second-time starters shipping in from Churchill. So here's where it gets more interesting - in 2 of his last 3 drills, he outworked an unraced barnmate (one of those being Reckling, who is entered in Race 3 today). In the other drill (dated 7/19), he and Reckling worked heads-up in a team drill with the 3yo Gettysburg, who hasn't been winning lately, but has been entered in races like the Arkansas Derby and Belmont Stakes. Sure seems like there's more here than meets the eye, so at the big morning line price of 8/1, i think he's worth a shot. Incidentally, Geroux gets the call here, and it looks like he's 1-for-1 with Asmussen at this meet.

Saratoga - Race 3

#1 Kahramani (9/2 ml)

2yo firster for Pletcher worked heads-up from the gate on 7/7 with One Liner, who came out of that drill to win his debut here on opening weekend. Following that, in the 7/16 drill it appears that Kahramani may have outworked barnmate Super Surprise (looks that way but i can't confirm), who also won on opening weekend, taking an allowance race off a lengthy layoff after having won a stakes @ Belmont in her prior start last October. Also of note, both those winners had Velazquez in the irons, and here he is again. Possibly a bad rail draw here, but if he's got the speed to shoot out to the front (let's hope so), it could work out fine. Note: i read somewhere a few weeks ago that Barclay Tagg had a full brother to Tale of Ekati that's supposed to be pretty good, and that would be #3 Tale of Silence (3/1 ml). Looks like word may be out because he's listed as the favorite here (not counting the other Pletcher horse on the AE list). Whatever, if that one gets bet hard, then i get a better price on Kahramani (whom i like better anyway).

HRT record:

97 for 365 (27%)

$827.80 mutuels ($8.53 avg)

Good luck buddy.
    edited July 2016
    Irad on the pletcher horse. Probably not the best sign, but I have no idea where JV is....
    edited July 2016
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Irad on the pletcher horse. Probably not the best sign, but I have no idea where JV is....

Oh for fucks sake, I hope he romps, the double is paying $130 and I be having it a lot.
    edited July 2016

Lol, oh he's on the other pletcher....
    edited July 2016
    Lol, oh he's on the other pletcher....

My girlfriend raving about the chalk... Says 3,10 look decent too.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    That 6- Reckling in the 3rd will come back an easy winner next out. Also I wonder what Javier was saying to J Ortiz when Flintshire blew by him in the stretch
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, it wasn't the best sign when Velazquez got off to ride the favorite (who looked great, btw). Still ran pretty good though. Finished 3rd @ 13/1 odds.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    That 6- Reckling in the 3rd will come back an easy winner next out. Also I wonder what Javier was saying to J Ortiz when Flintshire blew by him in the stretch

Ironic that the horse in Race 1 did nothing, then Reckling runs big in the 3rd race. Go figure.