Saratoga play for Thursday (9/1)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
Saratoga - Race 4

#3 Butler Field (7/2 ml)

Played this guy in his debut, as he was coming off heads-up drills with barnmate Connect, who was 2-for-2 at that time (and most recently ran in the G1 Travers). Blew the start, and never had a chance after that, as it appeared the rider gave up at that point and just opted to shake the reins at him a bit in the stretch to see how he'd respond (which he did well).

Backed him again second time out, and thought he was tons the best, but this time he suffered through an absolutely brutal trip. He was full of run at the top of the stretch, so much so that he tried to bull his way through a tiny opening in midstretch, at which point he got bounced around like a pinball (from both sides) and never got through. Rider basically folded up on him after that. The farther back he finished, the better, as far as i'm concerned. Better price for next time (i.e. today).

Switches to the dirt here, but that doesn't seem to be an issue based on the previous drills with Connect, and the extra distance (and wider track) will likely be to his benefit here.

HRT record:

98-for-374 (26%)

$832.00 mutuels ($8.49 avg)

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    #3 BUTLER FIELD

July 9 BEL 5f fst 1:00.89

Promising move, going pretty much on even terms with multiple winner Connect,
    five furlongs in 36.45, 1:00.95 before falling a couple of lengths back going
    out in 1:14.50. RATING: B

July 3 BEL 4f fst :49.50

Second-best to 2-year-old Bobby On Fleek while urged along some through
    decent splits of 25.40, 49.40, and did gallop out with very good energy in
    1:02.00, 1:16.20. RATING: B

June 26 BEL 5f fst :59.75

Broke a step slowly but showed good gate speed alongside 2-year-old Bobby On
    Fleek in 13.00, 24.20, was lightly urged to keep pace in 35.40, 47.20, the riders
    were semi-up in 59.40, and galloped out 1:13.80 for a very nice gate move.
    RATING: B+
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Thanks FB.

Worth noting that Bobby on Fleek came out of those drills to win by 6 lengths.

Connect of course came out of that drill to win the Curlin Stakes.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Ive got a $20 pick 3. So thanks regardless of how the nag runs.
    edited September 2016
    If they drop this one I say we claim and euthanize him too.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2016
    Went off @ 3/1, ran like absolute garbage. No apparent excuse. I don't think it had anything to do the dirt (for reasons stated above), but who the hell knows.
    edited September 2016
    Fuck this crippled horse. He's gonna beat us for big money one day. I hope he gets colic.