Possible longshot in the G1 Malibu

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2017 in Horse Racing Forum
I just got done going over some old workout reports, and i see that #8 Mor Spirit (6/1 ml) was working in company with none other than Arrogate (twice) directly before that one's thrilling BC Classic win over California Chrome. He also worked once with Drefong, in the final drill before that one won the BC Sprint over Masochistic (and also today's 5/2 ml favorite Mind Your Biscuits).

Also note that Baffert is reaching for Mike Smith here, who has been aboard for nearly all of Baffert's big wins recently (aboard Arrogate in the BC Classic and Travers, also aboard Drefong in the King's Bishop and BC Sprint).

Going just a bit further, also note that Mor Spirit is showing the textbook Baffert 7-furlong drill among his recent activity (he had also worked 7 furlong with Arrogate before the BC).

Among the negatives: After those works with Arrogate and Drefong before the BC, he then disappeared for the entire month of November. Maybe Baffert had been planning on bringing him back in the BC, but he got hurt in (or after) that final drill? Also, in his latest drill (a bullet with Jazzy Times, who is also entered here), Mor Spirit was reportedly outworked by Jazzy Times.

So definitely a couple of red flags here, but very hard to ignore his drills with Arrogate back in October, and Baffert is using the go-to rider Smith here (with the longest-priced of his 3 entries).

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Btw, in the two maiden races i like Dabster and Beautiful Princess. The latter (the filly) worked h/u from the gate on Dec 13 with Aquamarine, who is reportedly super-duper fast (that one should be entered soon, btw).

In the Beautiful Princess race, i also think Selcourt (a half-sister to the very speedy Chapman's Peak) is worth a look as an exacta partner.
    edited December 2016
    Btw, in the two maiden races i like Dabster and Beautiful Princess. The latter (the filly) worked h/u from the gate on Dec 13 with Aquamarine, who is reportedly super-duper fast (that one should be entered soon, btw).

In the Beautiful Princess race, i also think Selcourt (a half-sister to the very speedy Chapman's Peak) is worth a look as an exacta partner.

Dabster wins @ 4/1, but got disqualified into 4th place for drifting out during the stretch run.

Horrible way to start the meet. :idoit:
    edited December 2016
    Mor Spirit ran 4th. Decent effort, but no cigar.
    edited January 2017

Aquamarine has been entered next Friday (vs. Aristocratic)
    edited January 2017
    Dabster wins @ 4/1, but got disqualified into 4th place for drifting out during the stretch run.

Horrible way to start the meet. :idoit:

Dabster worked 5 furlongs today. Video below:

http://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/reach-the-world-outside-and-dabster-worked-5-furlongs-at-santa-anita-park-on-january-10th-2017/
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Aquamarine has been entered next Friday (vs. Aristocratic)

This goes as the 6th race today. Aquamarine has some decent gate works, and Aristocratic has some monster works with American Anthem. Both very live.
    edited January 2017
    They ran 1-2.

Aristocratic led early, Aquamarine stuck to him and then ran him down. $2 exacta paid $12.20.