Early Look--Oaklawn Friday & Saturday

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited January 2017 in Horse Racing Forum
Looks like much rain is coming and it could be a real crapshoot? Here are a few who made my clocker's list as ones that look like they are ready to run:

Friday

Race 1
#4 Drip Brew
Don't know why Moquett has her in for a $25k clm, could be the Unbridled Song factor? Nevertheless, Jose Ortiz jumps right in and rides in the OP opener(he will be in OP thru Monday)

Race 2
#7 Our Doc Tanner
anytime Al Cates sends out a cheap Arkie bred, get to the windows!

Race 5
The only reason I mention this race is because it marks the beginning of the new reduced rate take-out Pick 5--and I'm curious if this bet will be a big hit like it is at other tracks? Here's the kicker--starter allowance 4 & up going 6f for condition of running for a $7,500 tag in 2016. WHAT, who in their right mind has a horse running for $7,500 that doesn't want it claimed? I'm guessing someone went to Pat Pope, racing secretary, and said to write this condition because their grandchildren ride old paint around the farm and they don't want it claimed. What a game? It looks like my pick 5 will start out with the ALL BUTTON.

Race 6
A good bunch in here!
#3 DURANGO,
Has been off since last April, but her works are eye-catching! I'm not saying anything, but trainer Randy Morse probably has had her on some good meds as she is said to look muscled up and looking like a real player in the mornings.

Race 7
Another good msw 3yo going a mile. for $72k
My clocker has three (3) that are in here;
#3 Wicked Zar
#9 Zip Van Winkle
#13 AE Ladakh

Moquett's Zip Van Winkle is said to be a serious racehorse!

Race 8
Feature Fifth Season Stakes
#4 PINSON
Randy Morse reaches out and gets Jose Ortiz over the Moquett runner. Big time signal that this one is ready to fire!
#2 Cutacorner from Van Berg and #10 Mr. Z also make the list, and Mr. Z may go wire to wire in the slop?

SATURDAY

Race 1
#9 Chip Van Winkle, looks like the class of a $15k claimer?

Race 4
#1 ROCKSHAW,
I hate the rail at Oaklawn, but Rockshaw should speed pop and be well clear coming out of the turn that he can drift out to where the track is a little faster. Another Moquett/Ortiz runner and a cold single in all wagers!

Race 6
#8 CATAROUX
Trainer Randy Morse is high on this one and my clocker likes him a lot! And, Calvin Borel has to win one race?

Race 9
3yo going 6f for $72k and my clocker has no less than six (6) in here.
#1 Vandelay, another Moquett/Ortiz runner
#6 Smokin Now
#8 My Man Kan, it's Hobby, but my clocker says this colt can flat out run, and loves the slop!
#9 How's My Bud, good works
#12 Lipan, Assman runner working like a champ
#13 AE Perplexed, Lukas runner showing signs in the morning.

Assman has some of his stuck in NOLA, and in the 6th on Friday I'm not sure if Chanteline is up here yet? If not, tri 1/3/6, if she's here, 1/3/6 again as last year his usually needed a few works over the OP strip?

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2017
    I read a Tweet from Donald Harris that said they worked horses @ Oaklawn today for the first time since Jan. 5. It must've been a real mess out there recently.
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    :toast: Ching Ching I love Oaklawn racing full fields and great prices, the favorite is generally 3-1 thanks John.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    It looks like the rain may hold off on Friday? Saturday looks wet, how much who knows?
    Friday key plays:

6th---#3 DURANGO, 4-1

7th---#9 ZIP VAN WINKLE, 5-1 (use #3 Wicked Zar in exacta)

8ty---#4 PINSON, 6-1

I'm track bound!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Ive got a long day on the plantation today... hopefully we find some winners