Updated Power Rankings

SmartyCideSmartyCide Member
edited June 2017 in Horse Racing Forum
I updated my power rankings here: www.DerbyPowerRankings.com

Love to hear some thoughts. Just remember these rankings are done on a college football ranking type of model. Previous performances, good or bad, moves horses up or down. These are not my opinion as to who wins the derby.

One of the flaws of this system, at least this year, that iv noticed is a lot of disappointments from perceived top horses leads to the improved rankings of horses that simply havent run much like Classic Empire.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2017
    We're pretty far off. Right now I have them something like this:

1. McCraken
    2. Tapwrit (hard to believe i have the top two in the Sam Davis 1-2 overall)
    3. American Anthem
    4. One Liner
    5. Gunnevera
    6. Iliad
    7. Girvin
    8. Irish War Cry
    9. Reach The World
    10. Classic Empire
    11. Malagacy
    12. Royal Mo

Obviously could have Classic Empire higher, but I don't trust him right now, what with the poor Holy Bull run followed by the injuries and aborted workouts. Just not a lot of time left. Reserve the right to climb aboard the bandwagon if he shows he's able to shake it off and bounce back with a big effort, but he'll have to show me first.

Couple of others i have some doubts about (from a physical standpoint) are McCraken and Battalion Runner, but the McCraken thing seems minor by all indications (though it did cost him a start), and i think he has a strong enough foundation to overcome it. Battalion Runner, he must not have come out of that allowance race very well at all if Pletcher immediately declared that he was waiting for the Florida Derby (followed by a full month of no workouts). Hope i'm wrong about him, but i'm just not getting positive vibes at all. I did hear Pletcher say on radio recently that he just decided BR likes more time between races, but whatever. It seems like he just cares more about getting to the Derby than he does about winning it (perfect example being One Liner skipping the Rebel).
  • SmartyCideSmartyCide Member
    edited March 2017
    I got a feeling something wacky is going to happen this year. We are due for a bomb to come in. Petrov? Cloud Computing?

How bout Cloud Computing breaking the Apollo curse? The way I see it is after 4 favorites in a row and last year the 4 betting favorites in order finished 1 thru 4. I see something crazy happening this year. What would be crazier than Cloud Computing breaking the Apollo curse? If he runs the final 3/8 of the Wood Memorial in under 38 flat, look out. If not ill find another bomb. I do like Petrov, but he might not be a bomb after this weekend.. Like wise I may hop off his bandwagon if he tanks, so we'll see...
    edited March 2017
    If any horse breaks the Apollo curse this year, i think it'll be Reach The World. I do also like Malagacy however. Very talented, and still way under the radar. Could surprise with a big effort in the Rebel (ala One Liner), and then go from there. I know for a fact he's been training well. American Anthem will be tough to beat in there though, i think.

What's most interesting about Malagacy is whether he'll be able to relax and come from off the pace this time (which i think he has to in order to become a serious Derby contender). Lots of speed in the Rebel.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    Gormley still gonna win. He'll run 3rd in the SA Derby from just off the pace, and then win the derby Giacomo style.
    edited March 2017
    I think moonman, who won a 30k maiden will break the curse.
    edited March 2017
    Gormley really tanked last time out
    edited March 2017
    SmartyCide wrote: »
    Gormley really tanked last time out

Be careful talking about my boy. He wasn't cranked, and certainly could have held 3rd, but was NEVER asked late. Sure Mastery broke his heart, but it cost Mastery an arm and a leg to do it. Shirrefs will have my boy ready come May.
    edited March 2017
    Updated rankings after the Rebel:

www.derbypowerrankings.com

that was not easy...
    edited March 2017
    We're pretty far off. Right now I have them something like this:

1. McCraken
    2. Tapwrit (hard to believe i have the top two in the Sam Davis 1-2 overall)
    3. American Anthem
    4. One Liner
    5. Gunnevera
    6. Iliad
    7. Girvin
    8. Irish War Cry
    9. Reach The World
    10. Classic Empire
    11. Malagacy
    12. Royal Mo

Obviously could have Classic Empire higher, but I don't trust him right now, what with the poor Holy Bull run followed by the injuries and aborted workouts. Just not a lot of time left. Reserve the right to climb aboard the bandwagon if he shows he's able to shake it off and bounce back with a big effort, but he'll have to show me first.

Couple of others i have some doubts about (from a physical standpoint) are McCraken and Battalion Runner, but the McCraken thing seems minor by all indications (though it did cost him a start), and i think he has a strong enough foundation to overcome it. Battalion Runner, he must not have come out of that allowance race very well at all if Pletcher immediately declared that he was waiting for the Florida Derby (followed by a full month of no workouts). Hope i'm wrong about him, but i'm just not getting positive vibes at all. I did hear Pletcher say on radio recently that he just decided BR likes more time between races, but whatever. It seems like he just cares more about getting to the Derby than he does about winning it (perfect example being One Liner skipping the Rebel).
    Well, at least i had him in my Top 12. Few others did before today.
    edited March 2017

Case in point:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/220525/after-not-working-classic-empire-gallops-in-ocala
    edited March 2017
    "I really have no excuse for him. He really just didn't want to go. He went to breeze and he just didn't want to breeze," Casse said. "My thought is that he's had a lot of things happen to him there and maybe it's just not a great place for him"

He needs his safe space. Such a lame nag.
    edited March 2017
    updated the rankings

www.derbypowerrankings.com
    edited April 2017
    ranking updates - that was NOT easy

www.DerbyPowerRankings.com
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    No Gunnevera in the top 20?
    edited April 2017
    fbwinners wrote: »
    No Gunnevera in the top 20?

I'm having second thoughts about the quality of the Florida derby. Gunny looked like a drowned rat, broke from the outside, hit the rail, and still managed 3rd. Maybe his heart is just carrying him.
    edited April 2017
    guys i totally f'd up and forgot to put him back in when i was rearranging them. I think he is wearing down a bit, he looks like he lost weight. however i think his florida derby was better than it looked.

updated www.derbypowerrankings.com
    edited April 2017
    Updated Derby power rankings after crazy day of preps.

edited April 2017
    I have never seen so much chaos in the final round of Derby preps. It's amazing to me that you have Classic Empire ranked as high as third right now, after all the mishaps that he's encountered this Spring, but I can't really argue too much because everyone who's anyone (aside from Irish War Cry) took a dive this weekend.

I agree wholeheartedly with Always Dreaming occupying the #1 spot. He's a rapidly improving colt whom it appears will relish the Derby distance. Not crazy about Pletcher and his record in the Derby, but this horse is a runner.

As for Irish War Cry, he bounced back in a big way, but honestly i wasn't overly impressed with his effort. He sat a perfect trip right off the flank of Battalion Runner, whom I had deep reservations about. Didn't understand all the hype going into that race yesterday. He pretty clearly didn't come out of that allowance win very well at all, and then Pletcher started shuffling his plans around something fierce (while never wavering on Always Dreaming, btw). He ran okay, but Irish War Cry was not severely tested by Battalion Runner, and no one else came to challenge at all. I still believe in Irish War Cry's talent, but I've seen him look better. Doesn't mean he cant run big in the Derby though.

Battalion Runner, I'm expecting less from him, obviously. Might be a good fade in head-to-head matchups.
    edited April 2017
    I kind of feel that Classic Empire has improves his stock by simply not running. We'll see what happpens this week and adjust from there.
    edited April 2017
    Updated the power rankings:

edited April 2017
    Nice win by Classic Empire today. He's clearly back in the game. He didn't have the greatest of trips (though it gave him some good experience for the Derby), and he was able to stick with it and fire his best shot down the lane. Certainly didn't gain any style points for squeaking by a pretty marginal group of horses, but considering his recent problems, this had to be a huge weight off Casse's shoulders. Jury is still out on whether he's the same horse who won the Breeders Cup though.

Malagacy wasn't helped by the wide trip, and he was definitely impeded a bit late when CMM started drifting out on him, but he just looked kind of blah today in the late going. I'm not convinced he wants to go farther.
  • shh10shh10 Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Man, where to start?! I thought giving up alcohol for Lent a few years back was tough, when my kid said to give up horseracing (as my wife stood by laughing) I took the high road and agreed. (I'm not expecting many to understand) Anyway, Easter's here and straight to HRT, next to the replays and then to my account to remember who my futures were. I believe I had IWC, McCraken and the narcoleptic No Dozing. Hope you've all been well!
    edited May 2017
    Post derby depression is real... ha ha

www.DerbyPowerRankings.com will be back in the fall.

Final thoughts up on site now. See you next year! 363 days until Derby 144

onto the Preakness. He seems like the type of horse that based on his running style should win the Preakness and set us up for an interesting Belmont.
    edited May 2017
    SmartyCide wrote: »
    Post derby depression is real... ha ha

www.DerbyPowerRankings.com will be back in the fall.

Final thoughts up on site now. See you next year! 363 days until Derby 144

onto the Preakness. He seems like the type of horse that based on his running style should win the Preakness and set us up for an interesting Belmont.

Nice job and well done. :toast:
    edited June 2017
    hey guys im working on a much improved derbypowerrankings.com for a fall release. seems to be a lack of a 'one stop shop' for triple crown info especially very early in the season and im looking to change that for triple crown fanatics such as myself. I wanted to see if i could get some suggestions of the types of information or things of interest that fans such as yourselves would like included. all suggestions welcomed. this is not a money making venture, as the website will not be selling anything but purely a hobby and hopefully an improved fan experience.

all suggestions welcomed,

thanks