One Liner off the Derby Trail

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2017 in Horse Racing Forum
Very odd. Cleary there's something wrong with him, but I've never seen a top contender withdraw from Derby consideration without a specific injury or ailment being mentioned. Anyone know the real story here?

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/southwest-winner-one-liner-taken-off-kentucky-derby-trail/

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Statement from Elliot Walden

“Basically we are going to bring him back to WinStar to run some diagnostics on him,” said WinStar’s Elliott Walden. “If he’s not right, we’re not going to run him. He did not work well. I felt that he wasn’t ready to run an ‘A’ race. He’s too nice a horse not to [take a cautious approach]. We will look into it a little further and hopefully get him back in the summertime.”
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2017
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Statement from Elliot Walden

“Basically we are going to bring him back to WinStar to run some diagnostics on him,” said WinStar’s Elliott Walden. “If he’s not right, we’re not going to run him. He did not work well. I felt that he wasn’t ready to run an ‘A’ race. He’s too nice a horse not to [take a cautious approach]. We will look into it a little further and hopefully get him back in the summertime.”

Great to hear someone looking after the horse's best interests, rather than their own. Nice job by Elliot Walden (formerly a pretty nice trainer himself, btw).