Palio

PharaohPharaoh Junior Member
edited July 2017 in Horse Racing Forum
Has anyone ever either heard of or watched the Palio di Siena? There's a great documentary on Netflix called Palio about it. I'd recommend checking it out if you don't mind reading subtitles (or if you can understand Italian).

Comments

• roundtripparoundtrippa Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    I've been to the square in Siena where the race is held. Was at a dinner party there with a professor from Siena who gave a presentation on the race. Unfortunately, I don't speak Italian and had to get bits and pieces of his speech translated to me by another Italian with about 3 bottles of chianti in him.

That race is SO important to that town. Quite the history behind it, would love to go back sometime and actually see the race. No need for stewards in that one!
  • PharaohPharaoh Junior Member
    edited June 2017
    I plan on attending on July 2 this year. If you are interested, I would definitely recommend watching the documentary.
  • roundtripparoundtrippa Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    Don't count on the trains running! I thought we had the worst luck possible when the rail workers went on strike and we were stuck in Florence for an extra day and a half. Then I found out they strike at least once a month, so its par for the course.

It's a beautiful town, wish I was going to the race. Make sure to get some fried wild boar, and wash it down with some chianti from Gaiole!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    I was there about 15 years ago. Made the trip Florance up to Umbria and Tuscany. Sienna is one of my favorite places. The city sits in a bowl and the town spirals up and around it with great little pizza restaurants and great views of the plazzo below. I wasn't there for the race but I bought a picture taken during the race and it is really neat. Each village has a horse entered and they run for pride among thousands of people right in the middle of the streets. You're going to have a day of a lifetime!
    edited June 2017
    I hadn't heard about fried wild boar. I might have to try that! Thanks.
    edited July 2017
    I missed out on the fried wild boar. Here are a couple of photos I took during the Palio.

mJtvYLzl.jpg

JVcA5WQl.jpg

ZcloPVhl.jpg