Free selection from DiscreetPicks.com (Risen Star Stakes)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Fair Grounds - Race 9

#9 Signature Move (6/1 ml)

Highly-talented, speedy colt ships in for his stakes debut and has a good chance at springing the upset here. While the much-hyped Asmussen trainee Pyro comes in off a couple of heads-up drills with Curlin, this race is designed merely as a prep for him, and he figures to be coming from well off the pace here. Meanwhile, Signature Move comes in with a fitness and recency edge, and catches a field with very little early speed. He should break running here and assume command of the race early, and figures very tough to catch if allowed to dictate the early pace.

HRT record:

40 for 137 (29%)

$356.70 mutuels ($8.92 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2008
    I was VERY impressed with Pyro today. I knew he figured tough, but i was hoping he wasn't well-meant today, and i knew he'd be coming from well off the pace. I thought perhaps Signature Move could shake loose early, and prove an elusive target at big price.

Regarding Pyro's credentials, how often do you see an early-season 3yo working heads-up (twice in a row) with the reigning Horse of the Year? Beyond that, note how he was able to close from well off the pace in the BC Juvenile. For those who don't know, the sealed/sloppy Monmouth surface was playing like a conveyor belt that day. That makes it all the more impressive that Pyro was able to rally against the bias, particularly over a surface his jockey maintains he was struggling over.

Regarding today's race, it's incredible that he was able to weave thru traffic (after turning into the stretch running dead-last) to close with a rush and get up for the win, but he did it with plenty of room to spare! He was actually being geared down in the late stages. Unreal.

With regard to the Derby however, you probably don't want to be coming from last in a 20-horse field (with half of the horses moving backwards at you). Just too much potential for trouble. That's about the only bad thing i can say about the horse, however. He's undoubtedly the real deal.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited February 2008
    Great to see you posting again DC. Thanks.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited February 2008
    The funny thing is you mostly want to stay away from deep closers in the derby. Yet Street Sense did it last year and Giacamo a few years back. hmmm
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2008
    Afleet Alex was much the best in that Giacomo race, but couldn't overcome his traffic issues. Just the kind of thing i'm talking about.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited February 2008
    Your right I just watched that Belmont and Preakness race with Afleet Alex. Amazing. He was our triple crown winner. so close