Eight Belles Update

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Rick Porter is ready to run her in the Derby as he handed L.J. a check for 6k for the fee to run in the Derby. She still has to win a graded race and I see her running in the Ark. Derby as she ran just as fast as the colts under double wraps. We will see later in the week but I see my future on E.B. going down the tubes as I really think this filly is going to run in the Derby if they deceide to run her in the Ark. Derby.

FB

Comments

• turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    will go to mexico, and get a bet on her asap!!!!
    thank's and keep doing what ya doing!!!!
    i like it when the haters, speak up!!!!!lol
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2008
    That's great info FB, thanks. Btw, she could pick up the graded earnings by winning the Fantasy, but i agree it's more likely she would go in the Arkansas Derby. That way, they would get a trial run vs. colts, and if she flames out then they could still revert back to the Oaks.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    She's running against Pure Clan again in the fantasy on April 6th.........I could see the horse was wrapped up. I understand all her races have been won that way. From what I saw, Pure Clan will be more fit and challenge her in the stretch this time. Let's see how she reacts to a fight...........War Pass ring a bell?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2008
    DCat,I totally agree with you on the Derby/Oaks situation, she runs bad back to the Oaks. I hope they decide to keep her on the Oaks trail and I'm hearing Jones wants to keep her with the girls.

FB
    edited March 2008
    FB, look above your post.
    edited March 2008
    Thats what you all are reading right now but behind the scenes they are seriously thinking about running her against the boys for her next race, Larry Jones wants to keep her with the girls but Porter want the roses.
    edited March 2008
    She was nominated for the Ark. Derby this week they paid the $1000.00 fee before the deadline of $50,000.00 looks more and more like she will run against the boys next out and 2W2PS will have a easy single in Pure Clan in the Fantasy. Why not run for $1,000,000 instead of 250K.

FB
    edited March 2008
    Here is the press release it comes out way after my update for you all, but read below on the great Eight Belles!!

FB

Eight Belles nominated to Arkansas Derby

Eight Belles could take on the boys in the Arkansas Derby (Coady Photogprahy)
    EIGHT BELLES (Unbridled's Song), impressive winner of the Honeybee S. (G3) at Oaklawn Park last week, was nominated Friday to the April 12 Arkansas Derby (G2), leaving the door open to a possible start in the May 3 Kentucky Derby (G1) at Churchill Downs.

The gray filly may still yet run in the April 6 Fantasy S. (G2) against fillies at Oaklawn, but trainer Larry Jones said the "Arkansas Derby gives us another option." Rick Porter, the owner of Eight Belles, feels there would be potential benefits to facing the boys in the Arkansas Derby.

"The added distance of the Derby is one reason why we would prefer to run the filly in the Arkansas Derby if we do decide to go to the Kentucky Derby," said Porter, who campaigned 2007 Kentucky Derby runner-up Hard Spun. "Also, the residual value of beating the boys would be important.

"The only negative about running in the Arkansas Derby would be that it would give (Eight Belles) three weeks, instead of four, into the Kentucky Oaks (G1) or Kentucky Derby," Porter added. "But we certainly will give the Arkansas Derby serious consideration."

If Eight Belles opts for the Fantasy, she would likely face PURE CLAN (Pure Prize), who finished second in the Honeybee in her first start since November.

"Eight Belles is a great filly and she deserves the chance to beat the boys in the Arkansas Derby," said Bonnie Holthus, wife of Pure Clan's trainer, Bob Holthus. "As for Pure Clan, she'll be sticking with the girls. Our goals are to win the Fantasy and the (May 2) Kentucky Oaks."
    edited March 2008
    fbwinners wrote: »
    She was nominated for the Ark. Derby this week they paid the $1000.00 fee before the deadline of $50,000.00 looks more and more like she will run against the boys next out and 2W2PS will have a easy single in Pure Clan in the Fantasy. Why not run for $1,000,000 instead of 250K.

FB

Doubt I will. I was interested in betting Pure Clan against Eight Belles.

Why not run for $1,000,000 instead of $250K?

I think 100 years of history on how fillies a lot of times are never the same after racing against colts, and their careers have taken wrong turns may be one reason. I don't like the move at all.
    edited March 2008
    2W2P2S wrote: »

That is referring to Eight Belles running for 1 million instead of 250K, I would never bet a filly against a Colt as 3yo or older would have to be one specail filly. I bet Curlin against RTR last year and would do it again.

FB
    edited March 2008
    fbwinners wrote: »
    2W2P2S wrote: »

That is referring to Eight Belles running for 1 million instead of 250K, I would never bet a filly against a Colt as 3yo or older would have to be one specail filly. I bet Curlin against RTR last year and would do it again.

FB

I did bet Winning Colors in the Derby, but like you said, that was one special filly. 16.5 hands tall too. As an example of what I was pointing out, she was really never the same dominant horse after that race. It seems most of the fillies that try TC races never come out of them well. Obviously, there are a couple exceptions. Eight Belles does not look that physical to me, but her last race was the first I saw of her.

Derby Fever has ruined more horses than anything else in this sport. These guys never seem to get it. And the breeding industry is killing the sport. Biting the hand that feeds it.
    edited March 2008
    Just after I posted above I read that Rags to Riches is to retire. Chalk up another one that didn't survive racing against the boys...Hopefully Rick Porter hears the news as a sign of what to do..or not do.
    edited March 2008
    I hardly think that beating Curlin in the Belmont "ruined" Rags to Riches. Injuries can happen to any horse at any time. Besides, she was a big, robust filly who was the perfect candidate to run against males.

PS - The top fillies run against males in Europe all the time, and hold their own very well. Ouija Board damn near won the Arc a few years ago, for cripes sake. And she was so ruined afterwards that she won two out of three Breeders Cup starts.
    edited March 2008
    From 2W2P2S:

You are comparing European turf racing w/ American dirt racing??? I don't even know how to respond to that. That is pure comical. The racing is 100% different and why fillies can compete w/ colts.
    Tell me DC, why don't they just pack 138 lbs on horses here too??? Hell, they do it in Europe. It's the same right?? What's a high weight you see here compared to high weights in Europe? Why do you think that is??

Yes injuries can happen anytime and anywhere, but if you deny that racing fillies against colts is not a profitable endeavor going forward......again, I'm at a loss.
    edited March 2008
    Yes, i realize that turf racing is different. Particularly in Europe. I was simply making the point that good fillies/mares can compete against colts. Serena's Song would make a fine example as far as Americans go. I think you simply notice it more when fillies flame out afterwards. For instance, how many COLTS are never the same after being rushed onto the Derby Trail (or whatever else). It's not just fillies.

Is running Eight Belles in the Arkansas Derby a bad move? I don't know. I guess we'll find out in due time. I do know she's very talented, and she does have a nice foundation to work from. She's probably better-suited for it than a lot of colts. Take Big Brown going straight into the Florida Derby this weekend, for example. Is he more ready for that race than Eight Belles is for the Ark Derby? Probably not. That being said, either one could win their respective race, and it wouldn't surprise me.
    edited March 2008
    Hope this works........Thanks for posting the last one.

Comparing racing fillies and mares against boys there w/ here is 2 completely different worlds. Again, completely different type of racing, and why they can assign such high weights there.

And the point about the fillies is, they dominate their division going into the TC races. That's why connections make the decision to do so. I'll make a long, long list of dominating fillies that creamed their division before running in TC races, and then couldn't beat their own kind afterwards. People want to think horses are not animals, that they are robots. Getting beat up physically in a race after dominating foes easily, has a psychological affect. Some can overcome and show heart. Some throw in the towel.

Damn, I should have thrown in a Si Re Pak example.
    edited March 2008
    As of today Larry Jones has won the battle and Eight Belles is running in the Fantasy and I just hope L.J. can win this battle till the Oaks. The m.l. maker at Oaklawn said he would install E.B. at 5/2 m.l. fav. in the Ark Derby. Here is your chance to play Pure Clan at a nice price in the Fantasy.

FB
    edited March 2008
    I suppose that means Pyro isn't coming to Arkansas? I figured it was either there or the Blue Grass for him.
    edited March 2008
    I suppose that means Pyro isn't coming to Arkansas? I figured it was either there or the Blue Grass for him.

Pyro has only been scheduled to run in the Blue Grass and never in the Ark Derby.

FB
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    Well I guess you might say its Official, Eight Belles has been officially nominated for the triple crown, might not run in the derby, but maybe in the preakness or belmont.... WIll be interesting road again! :)