UAE Derby notes

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited March 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
UAE Derby Stable Notes

Posted March 27, 2008

While the saying goes that the personalities, and even sometimes the looks, of dogs and their owners can be very similar, the same kind of comparison hasn’t typically been made of racehorses and their connections.

But assistant trainer Henrietta Steele said she finds Group 2 UAE Derby contender Massive Drama to be uncannily like her boss, Dale Romans, who took over training the burly, dark bay colt last month for owner Ahmed Zayat.

“He’s such a laid back horse. He just takes everything in his stride,” Steele said. “I told Dale the horse was just like him,” she added.

When asked about the comparison, Romans chuckled. “That’s probably true,” said the Kentucky-based trainer. “He sure seems like he’s laid back and nothing bothers him.”

Appearances can be deceiving. Outwardly, Romans was very confident with Roses in May three years ago, calming telling reporters after the horse worked under the lights at Nad Al Sheba that he felt sure Roses In May would win the $6 million race--and Roses in May did just that.

But Romans said Tuesday that he feels much less pressure this year than he did with Roses in May, indicating that his calm exterior masked the pressure of racing for the world’s largest prize and the prestige that goes along with the Dubai World Cup.

This year, Romans is chasing a $2 million prize for the UAE Derby—as well as the chance for an American-based colt to win the UAE Derby for the first time in its nine runnings--races which have been dominated by Godolphin, with five winners, and older Southern Hemisphere-breds, which are eligible under the race conditions, with three victories.

The early UAE Derby favorites are the previous UAE classic winners: Two Group 3 Thousand Guineas champion Honour Devil, an Argentine-bred, and Al Bastakiya winner Royal Vintage, a South African-bred. Both are trained by South African Mike de Kock.

In a crucial development year for horses, the Southern Hemisphere-breds have, on average, a six-month age advantage and thus are more advanced physically and mentally than Northern Hemisphere-breds.

“I think it’s a bit unfair myself,” Steele said of the age advantage the Southern Hemisphere-breds maintain. “Maybe they should start about 200 meters behind to make it more fair,” she added with a laugh.

Race conditions include a requirement that the Southern Hemisphere-breds carry 59 kilograms versus 55 for the Northern Hemisphere-breds, a significant weight difference.

Regardless of the advantages or disadvantages, Romans remains true to his type and is unconcerned.

“I know they are older and have a little more experience, but I don’t know how to evaluate the level of horses they’ve been running against,” he said, adding that his own colt is so big and unflappable that he isn't worried about him in the race.

Massive Drama’s ability to handle the journey from America to Dubai and his racing talents, which he;s demonstrated with a Grade III win and a close third-place effort in a Grade I event at 1 1/16 mile, give Romans a confidence similar to what he felt with Roses in May.

“Nothing shakes him up much,” Romans said of Massive Drama. “He seems to handle everything, and I’m very pleased with him.”

UAE Derby Notes

Posted March 26, 2008

Mike de Kock and Saeed bin Suroor are the only two trainers to win the Group 2 UAE Derby, and the South African de Kock has an excellent chance for a fourth win in the race on Saturday.

He'll saddle Royal Vintage and Honour Devil and says there isn’t much to choose between them.

“I don’t know who will come out on top, but they are both in good form,” he said. “Honour Devil has proved himself a real fighter, whereas Royal Vintage is progressive. That said; they are hopefully both improving.”

Bin Suroor also has a strong hand in the $2 million race and De Kock is understandably wary of the opposition. “I expect a big show from the Godolphin duo My Indy and Numaany who will surely build on what they have shown,” he said. “And their filly, Cocoa Beach, has looked good, but we don’t know how strong the races were.”

Iide Kenshin, a Japanese entry in the UAE Derby, was in action on the dirt track on this morning. He went steadily with stable mate Admire Aura under his regular exercise rider Yasumasa Matsumoto. The final half mile was clocked in :49.42, with the furlongs timed in :14.10, :13.05, :11.11 and :11.16, so he finished up in :22.37.

Trainer Mitsugu Kon said, “During his quarantine period at Kyoto Racecourse the horse was a bit nervous with the unfamiliar surroundings and shying a bit, but since he’s arrived here he’s been showing good form. To be honest, everything has been going well. He is very well and has been eating up very well. I just hope he will be able to maintain his well-being until Saturday.”

After working five furlongs on Tuesday, Zayat Stables’ Massive Drama walked at his barn in the Nad Al Sheba quarantine area on Wednesday.

“He looks very good,” said trainer Dale Romans. Romans said that the big son of Kafwain emerged from the workout in excellent condition.

Romans plans to send Massive Drama to the main Nad Al Sheba track to jog and visit the starting gate tomorrow, and the colt will gallop on Friday and possibly jog on Saturday morning before the race.

UAE Derby Notes

Posted March 25, 2008

Massive Drama. After arriving in Dubai on Monday night, trainer Dale Romans sent Massive Drama out on Tuesday for an easy five-furlong breeze and said he was delighted with the result.

“He looked great and handled the track real well,” Romans said. “He was on hand and he did it easily. And I just wanted whatever he did to be done easily. It was very exciting to see.”

The clocker at Nad Al Sheba reported a half-mile time of :46.59 for Massive Drama and offered the comment: “Impressive work; very fit.” If Massive Drama did that kind of time easily, what's next?

After owner Ahmed Zayat transferred Massive Drama from Bob Baffert to Romans at his Florida barn last month, the big colt by Kafwain has seemed to get better and stronger in his work, Romans said.

But the trainer knows that Massive Drama has to overcome history to become the first American-based colt to win the UAE Derby, which is open to older Southern Hemisphere-breds.

“It’s a hard race to handicap, at least for me,” he said. “I know they are older and have a little more experience, but I don’t know how to evaluate the level of horses they’ve been running against.”

An angle Romans likes for the race is the track configuration. "The biggest thing here is the long three-eighths of a mile stretch, it is different to anything in America. Also the one-turn mile and an eighth which doesn't happen often in America," said Romans.

Iide Kenshin. The 3-year-old Japanese runner Iide Kenshin underwent a canter this morning along with stable mate Admire Aura for Yasumasa Matsumoto, the exercise rider for trainer Mitsugu Kon.

Matsumoto commented after the horse’s workout: “Actually the horse’s condition is much better than in Japan. He is very relaxed as well. He is a very smart horse and a very good boy.

“He cantered strongly with Admire Aura on Saturday, but we will give him another fast breeze tomorrow. He will probably have a light canter from the six furlong pole out and then quicken up in the stretch.”

Light Green. Connections of Brazilian challenger Light Green were also on hand to supervise their filly ahead of the Group 2 contest. Racing manager Eduardo Guimaraes said: “Winning is not out of the question, but we are much more confident she will run in the first four. We would be very disappointed if she didn’t finish close.”

The dual Group 1 winner is reported to be in fantastic condition and allegedly impressed her connections with her last piece of work on Sunday when she clocked five furlongs in 1:05 seconds.

Today, the filly completed an easy gallop on the training track which will be the general order of the day for the rest of the week.

“She can have a tendency to want to do too much in her work so we are trying to take it easy with her this week and keep her relaxed and quiet,” Guimaraes said. “She has improved a lot since her last run (when third in the Listed Balanchine) and is a different filly from the one that ran at the Carnival” added Guimaraes.

Zain Alma Aenee. He has been withdrawn from the UAE Derby on veterinary grounds.

UAE Derby Notes

Posted March 24, 2008

Honour Devil, Royal Vintage. Going in, South African trainer Mike de Kock holds the strongest hand in the $2 million race with Honour Devil and Royal Vintage. Neither horse is eligible for the Kentucky Derby since both are Southern-Hemisphere-breds and are 4-year-olds under North American racing rules. Rules in Dubai have them as 3-year-olds.

The pair swapped running one-two in the pair of Dubai preps for the UAE Derby, the Group 3 2000 Guineas and the Al Bastakiya-Mujahid.

“Obviously the UAE Derby looks our best chance with Honour Devil and Royal Vintage both holding big chances, and it’s hard to split them. A dead-heat would be great!” said the South African trainer.

Massive Drama. Today at Nad al Sheba Race Course in Dubai, Massive Drama was on the main track galloping under veteran jockey Rudy Rodriguez. Henrietta Steele, an assistant to trainer Dale Romans, said she was very pleased with how the son of Kafwain has adapted to Dubai ahead of Saturday's Group 2 UAE Derby.

“I’m happy with the way he was moving,” she said after the gallop. “He had his ears pricked—he seemed to have the sun on his back and love in his heart.”

Massive Drama reportedly made quite an entrance at Nad Al Sheba after arriving Saturday on the very long flight from Florida. "He actually got to the stable and bucked and squealed," said Henrietta Steele, assistant to Romans.

“I’m very happy with him,” Steele said. “I actually think he’s got more shine on his coat after the trip over from America.”

Romans is on the way to Dubai. He's expected to arrive tomorrow to continue Massive Drama’s preparations in an attempt to become the first U.S.-bred horse to win the UAE Derby.

Rock Ascot. Trainer Doug Watson put his Derby contender, Rock Ascot, through his paces on the training track today. The American conditioner has reservations about the horse's chances on Saturday.

“The horse has only been here a few weeks, and we would have liked longer with him as he arrived with a few problems,” he said. “He is a nice horse, though, and is a multiple Group 1 winner in Uruguay, so he has plenty of ability.”

Strike the Deal. Ryan Moore was aboard Strike The Deal today and put him through a steady work on the dirt track.

"He went well, and felt good," said Moore of the Jeremy Noseda-trained colt. Strike the Deal was last seen when fourth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile turf at a rain-softened Monmouth Park last year.

Noseda is no stranger to Dubai, having saddled 10 winners in recent years at the Dubai International Racing Carnival.

Cocoa Beach. Jockey Ted Durcan said he is looking forward to riding Godolphin's filly Cocoa Beach in the UAE Derby. She won the UAE 1000 Guineas and UAE Oaks.

"You would like to think she has a great chance," said Durcan. "She's a lovely, improving filly who has responded with everything that has been asked of her. Whoever rides her won't be disappointed because she has a great attitude, and I'm sure she will run a big race."