Track Bias

warrantwarrant Banned
edited April 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
some new comers to this wonderful game we call harness racing might be wondering when a bias takes place.

Track Bias is something I may notice after a few races. Maybe front end horses that have shown good form in the past, are just falling short in the lane. Or sharp closers are not able to close into the front enders. seeing if the fractions were honest, the race is contended and health of horses make track bias tough to determine.

Of course if the track is sloppy or the wind is playing a big factor, I change my tactics, but that is really done on a race by race basis.

Some believe in it while others do not. I usually do some adjustments to my handicapping on past performances when the bias is pronounced

At the meadows the track has a history of being dead for the front end types on the day following a heavy rain fall. The reason for this is the top level of limestone commonly referred to as "cushion" gets run off with the rain. The following day, the track crew has to lay down about 8 truck loads or more to get that cushion back. The new cushion is not settled into the surface yet and tends to slow down the front end horses. (my dad went into great deal about this when we were down there)

As for woodbine here is a few things to look for

1. horses that are making another go at it in the stretch after fading away, then coming on again in the stretch run. that right there will be taking advantage of the bias.

2. Horses that usually fade away on the front and end up going on to wire the field. if the horse has a history of always fading then you know something has happened.

3. The 1st up movers are winning or making headwave in the stretch run, we know that normally does not happen therefore there is a front end bias.

4. The smart drivers will take advantage on days/nights like this and will prolly make a quick move to grab the front. if a horse doesent show much gate speed the driver will try and give it some extra pop and not sit back and get into a decent spot

There is many things to look for when handicapping a race. if you knew the horse got tore up by the bias last race then chances are the next race when the bias is not taking place the horse will ignored by the betting public and will be a huge overlay and will produce a huge ticket

Good luck at the windows

Comments

• warrantwarrant Banned
    edited April 2008
    this is a great read, i put alot of effort into this