Big Brown impresses Dutrow in workout, guarantees he will be favored

TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
edited April 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Dutrow has been saying all along, he has seen all the 3 year olds and no one is as good as his horse....from the article...he guarantees Big Brown will be favored...“We’re a betting stable and we’ll make sure he’s the favorite. Got to love Dutrow's confidence...what happens on the first Saturday in May maybe a different story

Big Brown impresses Dutrow in five-furlong workout

BIG BROWN
Bob Coglianese photo
Trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. was eagerly counting down the days to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) on May 3 at Churchill Downs after watching Grade 1 winner Big Brown breeze five furlongs in :58.60 handily on Thursday at Palm Meadows Training Center.

“It’s a horse race and I have the best horse in the race. It’s that simple,” Dutrow said. “We’re going to Kentucky to win; anything less than that is not going to be OK with us. There’s such good karma going around the stable now that I don’t see how he can get beat.”

Dutrow was impressed by the workout, the only five-furlong move on Thursday at Palm Meadows. He told exercise rider Michele Nevin immediately following the workout that “I just can’t believe he went that fast. He looked like he was galloping along when he went past me.”

IEAH Stable’s and Paul Pompa Jr.’s Big Brown will be the first Kentucky Derby starter for the New York-based Dutrow.

“I’ve never been in this kind of spot before but I don’t feel any pressure, not as long as my horse is going good,” Dutrow said. “I’m having fun. This is what I was born to do.”

Big Brown enters off a five-length victory in the Florida Derby (G1) on March 29 at Gulfstream Park. The Boundary colt has won his three starts by a combined 29 lengths.

Big Brown is scheduled to leave for Kentucky on Monday. The colt was the 3-to-1 favorite in Pool 3 of the Kentucky Derby Future Wager.

It’s an honor to be a favorite now and he’ll be the favorite on Derby day—I can guarantee that,” Dutrow said. “We’re a betting stable and we’ll make sure he’s the favorite.

Robert LaPenta’s Cool Coal Man breezed four furlongs in :47.40 at Churchill Downs on Thursday in company with stablemate Chris Got Even, a maiden who was clocked in the same time.

The breezes were the co-second fastest of 35 at the distance and were completed on a fast track following the renovation break. Fractions were :11.60, :23.40, :35, and 1:02.60.

“I was very happy. He was galloping along the right way,” trainer Nick Zito said. “You always worry about the breeze before the Derby, but they were very comfortable.”

Zito also trains Grade 2 winner Anak Nakal, who galloped 1 1/2 miles on Thursday before the renovation break. Anak Nakal is scheduled to work on Friday.