Horse Racing - Friday

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2007 in Horse Racing Forum
Saratoga - Race 2

#6 Unbridled Trip (3/1 ml)

Been kinda waiting on this one. He worked heads-up three consecutive times with Sargent Seattle, who won super-impressively on Opening Day (one tick off the 5 1/2-furlong track record and considerably faster than the Schuylerville fillies on the same card). Javier Castellano takes the call here, and he was aboard Sargent Seattle as well. This colt also happened to be the April OBS sale-topper. My problem is that this race is two turns on grass; not quite what i was expecting. That being said, according to Dave Liftin in the Form, this barn has had some success debuting 2yo's going long on grass @ Saratoga. Half the field consists of first-time starters anyway, so it's probably not a huge deal.

HRT record:

2 for 3 (67%)

$15.10 mutuels ($7.55 avg)

Comments

• choons81choons81 Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    Great write-up and keep up the great work.

PS Changed my avatar for you so you can get a better look LOL.

GL
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Unbridled Trip went off @ 5/1 and was well-positioned throughout, but had no response through the stretch. I don't think the distance agreed with him. Hopefully they'll turn him back to a sprint next time.
    edited August 2007
    in the original post. The horse was going from a sprint to route race, which IMO was considerably longer than his first trip. Hopefully connections will take the pony back to a sprint, where I think the connections will find this horse more successful. Will keep an eye out for this one just as the horse from yesterday A.P. Exact? (forgot the name A.P. something)

Thanks for the info.

GL
    edited August 2007
    Unbridled Trip was a first-time starter; he had never run in a sprint (or anything else) before.
    edited August 2007
    Not an official play here, but i think #3 Celestial Comet is worth a look in Race 6. He comes out of a three-horse team drill from the gate on July 28, so it would appear that he's well-meant. Mott's firster Caravel ran a nice second in the other 2yo turf route today (different jockey aboard), so that's a positive as well. Mott tabs Desormeaux for the ride here, and he was aboard Mott's super-impressive maiden winners Riley Tucker and JZ Warrior. Good turf breeding on this one too...
    edited August 2007
    Celestial Star ran pretty well, checking in 4th while beaten maybe two lengths. Time was considerably faster than the earlier 2yo turf route, also. I'll be paying special attention to his July 28 workmates (Elle Society and Saratoga Summer), should they appear in a turf route as well. Pretty likely they will.
    edited August 2007
    Unbridled Trip was a first-time starter; he had never run in a sprint (or anything else) before.

Sorry for misreading that. I am at work and juggling phone calls, meetings, and reading/replying to posts at the same time......shhh don't tell "The Man"

GL

PS Hence, no plays for me as of yet. Will be looking at the ponies today @ approx. 1700 PST
    "May the horse be with you."
    edited August 2007
    Several plays @ Del Mar today (all in the Pick 6 sequence, btw).

Del Mar - Race 4

#7 Transvaal Scottish (9/2 ml)

Popular claim-box draw ran up inside to contest the early pace last time but wa steadied while in tight along the rail and dropped back. Was absolutely full of run in upper stretch but was blocked badly by a wall of 4 or 5 horses before he finally took a right-hand turn around mid-stretch and made it into the clear. The race was over by the time he got free, but he did a whale of a job just to take second. The winner (Mix) returned to run 3rd in the Graduation Stakes less than a week later. MC Baze abandons this horse for Verlander, but that could easily be attributed to the new connections. Seemingly takes a class-jump here (from MCL 32 up to MCL 80), but didn't run any slower last time than Coronas At Delmar, who exits the strongest race. Mix's 3rd-place finish in the stakes validates his form as well.

Del Mar - Race 5

#7 Nootka Island (3/1 ml)

I've actually been on this horse in her last two races. She was training super over the Hollywood cushion track prior to each of thgse turf starts, so i don't think the main track is an issue for her. Besides, turf form generally translates pretty well to polytrack anyway. Just think she's the best horse here, and the distance clearly isn't a problem for her.

Del Mar - Race 6

#8 Lonely Highway (4/1 ml)

Normally i wouldn't back an 0-for-8 maiden, but this one drops in for a tag for the very first time, and trainer Paddy Gallagher excels with that move (32% from 25 such starters). Comes off an extended layoff here, but does have three straight 1 1/8-mile races under his belt (two of which he ran 2nd in), which gives him a foundation edge over most of this field. That's an important factor with maiden-claimers going two turns on polytrack. Comes in with a couple of nice drills over the surface and looks ready to go.

Del Mar - Race 7

#8 Lucky JH (7/2 ml)

Fast Carla Gaines trainee comes off a year's layoff, but recorded a very impressive win in a similar situation last February at roughly this same distance. Tries turf for the first time here, but has been training extremely well (including his last drill over the turf course) and looks set to fire a big shot today. Should sit a nice trip stalking Giant Chieftan. The long layoff should scare some people away also, providing extra value.
    edited August 2007
    #8 LONELY HIGHWAY is a scratch. Actually was ready to throw in an exacta box 678, but it said Runner Error and noticed that the horse was a scratch

GL
    edited August 2007
    #8 Lucky JH (7/2 ml)

"Fast Carla Gaines trainee comes off a year's layoff, but recorded a very impressive win in a similar situation last February at roughly this same distance. Tries turf for the first time here, but has been training extremely well (including his last drill over the turf course) and looks set to fire a big shot today. Should sit a nice trip stalking Giant Chieftan. The long layoff should scare some people away also, providing extra value."

Lucky JK has had decent speed figures of late averaging 111. I would at the minimum use the horse in exotics as Espinoza has given backers some double digit winnings.
    edited August 2007
    Transvaal Scottish went off @ 7/1 and ran third.

Nootka Island went off @ 2/1 and finished out of the money.

Lonely Highway was scratched and did not run.

Lucky JH went off @ 3/1 and ran third.

Very bad day for me, going 0-for-4 altogether...