Newbee here, Got a Bet Question

WildhorseyWildhorsey Member
edited June 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
I understand the ranking and odds, but lets say u put $50 down on 1 horse to win and he does, do u keep your initial $50 plus your winnings or does the $50 go toward the buying of the bet? Also, say if Big Brown wins and I make a bet for him to win and I make a bet for him to win, place, or show, do I make the most money off of the "WIN" bet or does it not matter? .If you don't want to place a WIN bet,...Is there a more strategical bet than "Win, Place, Show"? Thx:sweatdrop:

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2008
    At this moment if you would wager $50 win and he won you would bet back your $50 plus a additional $10 for a total of $60 making you only really clear $10 profit. This race is really not a race to make a win wager on Big Brown, they only reason to make a win bet on him is to get a souvenier ticket and don't cash it.

FB
  • WildhorseyWildhorsey Member
    edited June 2008
    So, what is your stratigical bet suggestion?? "Win, Place, Show?" or oneof those exotic bets?
    edited June 2008
    Wildhorsey wrote: »
    So, what is your stratigical bet suggestion?? "Win, Place, Show?" or oneof those exotic bets?
    Someone please spell out the math 4 me. Big brown to win, Bet is $50.
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited June 2008
    Horse Racing payouts are all based on "pools" which is all the money wagered on each particular wager, I.E. Win Pool - Place Pool - Show Pool, the track will take out thier % and then divide the winnings by all winning tickets.

Currently Big Brown is 1-5 (You win $1 for every $5 you Bet) So if you bet $50 and he wins, when you return to the window to cash your ticket you will get back $60.

If he was 2-1 ( You get $2 for every $1 you bet, So if you were to bet $50 at these odds, and you won, you would go cash a ticket for $150

So you do get your money back if you win when you cash your ticket..... If that helps
    edited June 2008
    Duckgawd wrote: »
    Horse Racing payouts are all based on "pools" which is all the money wagered on each particular wager, I.E. Win Pool - Place Pool - Show Pool, the track will take out thier % and then divide the winnings by all winning tickets.

Currently Big Brown is 1-5 (You win $1 for every $5 you Bet) So if you bet $50 and he wins, when you return to the window to cash your ticket you will get back $60.

If he was 2-1 ( You get $2 for every $1 you bet, So if you were to bet $50 at these odds, and you won, you would go cash a ticket for $150

So you do get your money back if you win when you cash your ticket..... If that helps

Yes, thanks!, never been explained to me that way before....believe it or not. In the past someone gave me a serious math problem to figure my winnings. LOL!:yes:
    edited June 2008
    So basicly when a horse is deamed the favorite to win you don't make much money but u can loose a lot if he looses? dugh?:sad:
    edited June 2008
    What's the use in risking $50 to make $10 more or losing all $50!
  • edited June 2008
    you really need to bet on a good horse to come in second in this one , like tale of ekati. or #9 readys echo.
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited June 2008
    Well, I wonder the same thing! Why bet so much to win so little, but the answer is, if it is a "sure" thing then it is a quick 20% or 30% return on your money in the matter of 2:30 Minutes! That why you see what we call "Bridge Jumpers" Which are those who bet $10,000+ to show on a horse (Come in 1st, 2nd or 3rd - but only get the show money if he wins) Because no matter what a track has to pay atleast $2.10 on a $2 wager, so it is 5% return and they feel its worth it!!!!

You see it more often then not, that it isnt woth it, Take for example harlem rocker up at woodbine last saturday went off at 1/5 and had a HUGE show pool on him, and he came in 4th, if you wagered $2 to Show on every horse except harlem Rocker, you got $51 for a $12 ticket! which is good for SHOW wager!

But like i said and try to stress to new horse players is that everything is paid out on the pool basis, and some times its better to bet the show or place pool, example was BIg Brown in the preakness, he paid an extra 20 cents to place then he did to win, and the show wager paid the same as the win wager! Wierd huh! But those are the pools, so if you can watch the pools and see that there is less on Big Brown to Place well try him to place because it might pay more!
  • alcoachalcoach Member
    edited June 2008
    bottom line wager $50.00 buck on big brown and your down $50.00 bucks you probably could of gone out to a nice restruant or buy something for your home at home depot