Free selection from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
I wasn't planning on offering more than one free pick per week, but since it's Gold Cup day and i have a lot of plays on tap, i'll throw another one out there:

Hollywood - Race 8

#12 Secret Shuttle (9/2 ml)

We've been on this horse in each of his last two starts, and there's no reason to jump ship now. He did take a bit longer than usual to get going last time, but he really smoked home the last sixteenth of a mile, making up 4 lengths to just miss at the wire vs. the then-undefeated Tall Texan (who came back to run a good second in his two-turn debut on Thursday). Secret Shuttle got that final sixteenth in almost unheard-of 5.2, which bodes extremely well for his chances here as he gets an extra sixteenth to run today. Also note this marks his second start off the layoff, and he improved dramatically in his second start of the form cycle last time (despite the lower Beyer), showing an incredible turn of foot in the final sixteenth of that race. Should be quite comfortable here with the outside post and the long run into the turn, which should keep him in the clear and allow him to do his thing late. Still think this colt is one of the very top sprint prospects on the circuit; looking for a big effort today.

I also need to mention #1 Forest Phantom (5/1 ml). He's shown a remarkable late burst of speed and a giant, reaching stride in each of his last two starts, the last one coming at this same 7-furlong distance. I'm a little concerned about traffic issues given his rail draw and the large field, but if he can get into the clear he figures to be smoking home late, much like i'm expecting Secret Shuttle to do. I'll definitely be hooking these two up in an exacta, and a secondary win bet isn't out of the question either. Should be somewhat overlooked coming out of the claiming ranks.

HRT record:

43 for 144 (30%)

$380.50 mutuels ($8.85 avg)