Any thoughts on the Virginia Derby?

laker5laker5 Member
edited July 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
I've read good things about Old Man Buck.

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    I love the #4 Court Vision.Yes I did play this horse in the derby but I think he wants the grass. You have to throw out his last cause the turf course that day was like a river. He still managed to gain some ground. Also like the jockey switch. I played:

#4 Court Vision $20 WPS
    $5 exacta boxes with Court Vision/ Your Round, Sailors Cap
  • trinbagotrinbago Junior Member
    edited July 2008
    Contenders:

Old Man Buck
    El Sultry Sun
    Sailor’s Cap

Longshot:

Your Round
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    # 9.....gio ponti
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2008
    This is a tough race because i really don't know what to expect from Sailor's Cap today. His rise to prominence has exclusively come over soft ground (3 consecutive races), and the track is firm today. Tempted to go with Gio Ponti here, but it's a lot to ask of a 3yo to stretch from 1 mile to 1 1/4 miles in only his second start of the year. Similar task for Old Man Buck, btw. I have to give the edge to Sailor's Cap, based on conditioning.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    Did you watch the race right before they were coming around the far turn it looked like Gio Ponti slammed into Court Vision and CV had to take up? Interesting? No claim of foul? I thought after the race when they went over the wire it looked to me that Desormeaux was yelling with a hand motion towards Gomez like you slammed right into me. Maybe I was seeing things :cry:

This is a tough race because i really don't know what to expect from Sailor's Cap today. His rise to prominence has exclusively come over soft ground (3 consecutive races), and the track is firm today. Tempted to go with Gio Ponti here, but it's a lot to ask of a 3yo to stretch from 1 mile to 1 1/4 miles in only his second start of the year. Similar task for Old Man Buck, btw. I have to give the edge to Sailor's Cap, based on conditioning.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    Still a good call by you Mike