$4.6 million colt entered @ Saratoga tomorrow

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2007 in Horse Racing Forum
Many of you probably read about Zayat Stables pulling all their horses out of Del Mar and sending them to Saratoga. Well, their $4.6 million yearling purchase Maimonides is entered in Race 2 on Wednesday. He's by Vindication out of Silvery Swan, making him a half-brother to the star colts El Corredor and Roman Ruler. Each of those two were trained by Baffert, who also handles this colt. He was actually entered at Del Mar on July 18, but was a vet scratch (it was reported he was off his feed earlier in the week). I happen to have his workout reports from that day, which i'll share with you here:

MAIMONIDES (Jul 15 @ Dmr, 49.1)

Broke 2 back from the hard knocking Law Breaker (49.1) but gave ground late while under some late coaxing in 25.0, 49.1. Did expect more. Grade C+

MAIMONIDES (July 8 @ Hol, 59.1g)

Heads up outside Adarlyn Cat (59.1g) the duo matching strides in 23.1, 34.4, 59.4. Was under some late coaxing; not overly impressive. Grade C+

I actually had another set of reports on these same drills from Toby Turrell, who conversely was very impressed with Maimonides (i can't find them right now, but if i run across them i'll post them later). It's also worth noting that the July 8 team drill was the fastest workout at the distance, from 70 horses. That being said, Adarlyn Cat (a 3yo filly) emerged from that drill to run in a 6.5 furlong MSW on July 28 @ Del Mar. She went off at 34/1 and showed good speed for a half-mile, then spit the bit and faded back to 10th. As for El Corredor and Roman Ruler, each of them won their debuts for Baffert.

Comments

• choons81choons81 Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    1. Big Thanks for the heads up as my bro and I were discussing this horse the other day. Was wondering what in the hell happened to the pony as we had not been keeping up.

2. Thanks for your hard work and posting all of your valuable info here.

3. Got a pick?? (LOL j/k)

GL $$
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Found it...

MAIMONIDES (July 8 @ Hol, 59.1g)

Flores up. Could not have looked any better here as expensive purchase was in total breeze mode on the outside of Adarlyn Cat (Maiden 3yo filly). Could have run clear at any point. Super sharp. Grade A.

Amazing how two very sharp guys can see the same workout so differently.
    edited August 2007
    Found this tidbit

Maimonides, a $4.6 million Keeneland September yearling sales purchase, is scheduled to make his debut Wednesday in the second race, a $62,000 maiden special weight event.

The colt by Vindication is trained by California-based Bob Baffert. He’ll be facing eight other 2-year-olds, barring scratches. Included in the field will be Ecton, who sold at the same sale for only $25,000 and was nosed in his debut in a maiden claimer at Churchill Downs in June.

Maimonides has been training out West, but shows one local work…a :35.2 three-furlong breeze on Saturday. Rafael Bejarano will ride.

In case you were wondering, Baffert is hitting with 16 percent of his first-timers this year for a flat-bet profit on a $2 investment. I wouldn’t count on this one being much of a price.
    edited August 2007
    A little more info on Maimonides (who's currently 3/5 with about 25 mtp). He appears to have outworked Kailee Rush (4yo gelding) by a length in that July 23 gate drill. Kailee Rush came out of that work to run last in a maiden-claimer on Friday.
    edited August 2007
    Wow...made 1/2 look like a gift. Impressive race.
    edited August 2007
    Yeah....score one for Toby, i guess. Horse looked fantastic.