Prado's ride on Adriano (9th at SAR Monday)

RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
edited August 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Based on this horse's past races and running style, it is inexcusable that Prado did not get the horse to the outside and in the clear when he had ample opportunity to do so down the backstretch. A.P. Indy's seldom have "push-button" type bursts, they instead are known for long grinding runs. Furthermore, Adriano has shown a dislike for racing in traffic and both of his best races came on the outside in the clear. Trying to save a little ground and risk getting trapped was not the way to go with this horse.

Anyone see the race? Agree/disagree?

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2008
    I didn't see the race, but i often wonder what the hell these jockeys are thinking. I've see them disregard a clear path in order to move inside (and into traffic) more times than i can count.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited August 2008
    Quote from Bloodhorse:

“We had a nice trip until the quarter pole," said Adriano's jockey Edgar Prado. "We were down on the inside and had no place to go.”
  • Steve19036Steve19036 Member
    edited August 2008
    The loss lies on Prado. Adriano was tied up with Wesley if I remember correctly and whoever the jockey on Wesley was managed to get to the outside and pull off the upset
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    RightAngle wrote: »
    Based on this horse's past races and running style, it is inexcusable that Prado did not get the horse to the outside and in the clear when he had ample opportunity to do so down the backstretch. A.P. Indy's seldom have "push-button" type bursts, they instead are known for long grinding runs. Furthermore, Adriano has shown a dislike for racing in traffic and both of his best races came on the outside in the clear. Trying to save a little ground and risk getting trapped was not the way to go with this horse.

Anyone see the race? Agree/disagree?

Agree w/ everything you said here. Especially the part about AP Indy horses being grinders, rather than turn of footers for the most part. And almost every grinder likes to be outside of horses on their right lead in the stretch, and they don't run near as well inside of horses.

Good stuff Ed.