Del Mar Race 7 - The Sorrento Stakes

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2007 in Horse Racing Forum
Not an official play here, but i just wanted to comment on this race. Brad Free says in his Racing Form analysis that #9 Tasha's Miracle (3/1 ml) is a "deserving favorite to win as one of the shortest prices on the card". He also says that the field here is "relatively modest".

I couldn't disagree more. This is avery strong race, probably the toughest 2yo stakes seen in California this year. I have it pretty wide-open between the four outside horses, the other three being #6 Foxy Danseur (8/1 ml), #7 One Hot Wish (8/5 ml), and #8 Set Play (8/1 ml). Any one of these four horses can win, and i wouldn't surprise me.

One Hot Wish set the world-record for 4.5 furlongs in her Keeneland debut, over polytrack no less. Obviously it was a different kind of polytrack, because you certainly won't be seeing any world-records over the current Del Mar surface. But the horse is obviously lightning-fast, and has continued to train well. If any horse is a desereving favorite here, it's this one.

Foxy Danseur i've gone into quite a bit of detail on (on another site), and time is kinda short here so i won't re-hash that. Suffice to say i backed her in each of her first two races, and she ran huge last time while dueling inside of Baffert's $1 million 2yo purchase More Happy (2who went off @ even-money in that race). I'm not thrilled that she's drawn inside of One Hot Wish here, but this horse is clearly live at the 8/1 ml.

Set Play won her debut in a key race (which included Foxy Danseur), beating The Golden Noodle, who returned to win the Landaluce Stakes. Set Play came back to run third in the Landaluce. Going a bit further, the horse who finished between them in the Landaluce (Treadmill) came back to win the CTBA Stakes.

Tasha's Miracle is obviously a big threat also, but you get the point. No easy spot here. I'll be looking at the exotics here, assimng the post-time prices are anywhere near their morning lines. Either of the two 8/1 shots might make for a very nice exacta.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Very nice result, with the two overlays Set Play (6/1) and Foxy Danseur (8/1) running second and third behind Tasha's Miracle (2/1).

The $2 quinella paid $19.60

The $2 trifecta paid $113.00

Not too shabby...