Juddmonte International rescheduled for Friday

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Today's big showdown at York between Duke of Marmalade and New Approach has been postponed until Friday because of ground conditions. Much had been made of the super-soft ground in the last week, leading to speculation that Duke of Marmalade might not run at all. I saw a picture of the course this morning that showed standing water on the track. It's a real mess right now. I wonder if they can even run on Friday. We'll see.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2008
    Here's the latest, from Racing Post:

NEW APPROACH had been ruled out of the Juddmonte International Stakes prior to the 8.30am inspection which resulted in the abandonment of the first day of the York Ebor meeting.

The Derby winner's trainer, Jim Bolger, took the decision around 6.30am after hearing from York that there had been 11mm of rain overnight and that an inspection had been called.

Bolger said: "I was told of the situation by William Derby, clerk of the course at York. New Approach was at the airport and we decided to bring him home.

"We will wait and see what happens about re-scheduling the race. If it is re-scheduled for the end of the week, and the weather improves significantly, wewill consider running him."

Aidan O'Brien said of Duke Of Marmalade: "He flew out early this morning and the plane had landed before the result of the inspection was announced. He will probably come straight home."