Big Brown to race on grass

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Just heard on the radio that Big Brown will prep for the BC Classic in the Monmouth Stakes, which is a 1 1/8-mile turf race for 3yo's and up on September 13.

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    Interesting choice. I know it helps a horse go from Turf to synthetic and the fact being the BC will be run on synthetic. It just pisses me off that Dutrow ran his mouth all of those weeks before and in between the Derby, Preakness and Belmont about how great his horse is. Yeah the first 2 legs he demolished the horses but cmon after the Belmont he skips out on the Jim Dandy and sends the horse to Monmouth for the Haskell, runs against shitty horses and is all out to win and the thing that pisses me off is he is not running this Saturday in the Travers. He would of lost Saturday to Colonel John and he will lose again come the BC. Either Colonel John or Curlin will get him in the classic! I think the connections are a bunch of cowards and deserve to lose the grass race at Monmouth. Sorry about the rant just a little pissed off today
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    Mike,

Just remember Big Brown won his maiden race at saratoga last year on the turf by 11 lengths. I would assume the owners are making the decision not Dutrow. From a business standpoint, he will probably face a easier field than the Travers and have a chance to pick up some nice coin...250000 if he wins.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2008
    From a business standpoint, i would think Big Brown's stud value would be increased with a Travers win. Not 100% on that because i believe he's already been syndicated, but since he's still racing, you would have to think there are clauses that increase the $$$ should Big Brown win another important race, like say the Travers or the BC Classic or whatever. Perhaps FB can shed some light on this subject.
  • alfonsoalfonso Junior Member
    edited August 2008
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Interesting choice. I know it helps a horse go from Turf to synthetic and the fact being the BC will be run on synthetic. It just pisses me off that Dutrow ran his mouth all of those weeks before and in between the Derby, Preakness and Belmont about how great his horse is. Yeah the first 2 legs he demolished the horses but cmon after the Belmont he skips out on the Jim Dandy and sends the horse to Monmouth for the Haskell, runs against shitty horses and is all out to win and the thing that pisses me off is he is not running this Saturday in the Travers. He would of lost Saturday to Colonel John and he will lose again come the BC. Either Colonel John or Curlin will get him in the classic! I think the connections are a bunch of cowards and deserve to lose the grass race at Monmouth. Sorry about the rant just a little pissed off today
    I agree with You about Big Brown, It is the same with harness racing Somebeachsomewhere where he was racing with cheap horses, winning a lot of money and then gets beat by good horses in the U.S.A, brings him back to Canada and races with cheap horses again and avoiding the big horses he should be racing with.
  • hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited August 2008
    In America we care about dirt racing. To race on the turf WILL NOT increase his stud value.
    Winning the Travers would have been much more valuable in terms of breeding fees.