Duke of Marmalade wins

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
from PA Sport:

Aidan O'Brien's Duke Of Marmalade landed his fifth Group One of the season with a determined display in the rescheduled Juddmonte International Stakes at Newmarket.

Always in the best position under Johnny Murtagh, he made his move up the rail a furlong and a half out.

Phoenix Tower emerged from the pack to throw down a serious challenge, but yet again he had to settled for second in a big race.

Derby winner New Approach pulled ferociously in the early stages and had to settle for third.

Duke Of Marmalade's stable companion Red Rock Canyon set the pace with Murtagh content to sit behind him.

Kevin Manning eventually managed to get New Approach to settle but by the time he was pulled out to challenge the burst of speed that was so evident at Epsom was lacking.

It was heartbreak again for Henry Cecil's Phoenix Tower, runner-up in his fourth Group One race of the season, just three-quarters of a length away.

But for O'Brien and Murtagh the golden run continues and it was an 18th victory at the highest level for the Ballydoyle yard this term.

Murtagh told Channel 4 Racing: "Aidan told me before the King George that you have to really go for him and I was probably a little bit easy on him, but today he really picked up and when he sensed the other horse coming to him he had plenty left in the tank.

"I've said before that he is very durable, very consistent and he tries for you.

"You can see the size of him and he has a great will to win, he's just a great horse.

"Soft ground, fast ground it doesn't matter he's able to take it, he eats up every day and he loves racing.

"I'm a lucky jockey, it's very easy when you are riding horses like this."

O'Brien said: "All the team have been amazing to keep him on the go and keep him happening."

Referring to the abandonment of York earlier in the week, he added: "We were very worried as he flew over on Tuesday, spent a couple of hours here and then flew back. But he is an amazing horse and has a great constitution.

"Johnny got there earlier than he wanted to and he doesn't do a lot in front. The amazing thing today was the pace he showed and the way he travelled through the race. All being well if he comes out of this OK we will go to Leopardstown for the Irish Champion Stakes."

Cecil said: "It's four Group Ones he has nearly won now and the other horse just got the measure of him up the hill.

"He's done everything right, they are clear of the rest and I'm sure his day will come."

Jim Bolger said of New Approach: "He's beaten but definitely not battered. He ran a good race and is obviously on the way back.

"We'll regroup and I'm sure you'll see a different horse in two weeks' time, I'm not using the ground as an excuse.

"It will be Leopardstown next (for the Irish Champion Stakes)."