NYRA scratch rules (Saratoga - Race 3)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
I had a play today on part of an entry (#1A Brave Victory). With about 1 minute to post, they scratched her entrymate (#1 Golden Jungle), which didn't bother me in the lesat because my play was all about Brave Victory. But then, it was announced that Brave Victory was running for "purse money only". For wagering purposes, she was considered a scratch.

In roughly 15 years of betting horses, this has never happened to me before. Since when do both halves of an entry get scratched (for wagering purposes) when only one of the horses is actually scratched? Is this some kind of new rule? Does it have to do with the timing of the scratch? Exactly what happened here? Whatever it was, i'm guessing it's exclusive to NYRA, but who knows. Any help would be appreciated.

PS - I ended up saving money, as Brave Victory ran second by a half-length to the Kirian McLaughlin firster Regal Ransom. Incidentally, Regal Ransom was 2/1 before the scratch, then dropped to even-money afterwards (the Brave Victory entry had been 9/5). I'm guessing anyone who had bet Regal Ransom felt like they were getting screwed also. They only had a minute or two to cancel their tickets after the odds were cut in half. Real fair to the customers.

Comments

• peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    hey cat they have been doing that for about 3or4 yrs if im not mistaken . it is good in some ways if the 1a had scratched u wouldnt have wanted the 1 would u ? i have had that happen to me before it has saved me and hurt me . that was a nice colt today ,i also noticed that brave victory has a bad way of going in the backend . he is a nice colt but i believe he got beat on the square . most impressive colt ive seen including delmar.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2008
    Seemed like he kind of hit a wall around mistretch. I didn't think either horse was finishing all that well.

With regrd to it happening the other way around, you're right, i definitely would NOT have wanted the 1. Double-edged sword, i guess. Most of the time however, it would only be a problem when you pre-bet.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    Happend to me on a pick 4 last year the other part of the entry won, and it gave me the post time fav., the horse that ran second I didn't have and counted toward the pick 4. I caught a horse in the 2nd leg of the pick 4 that paid over $40.00 I got nothing and hit all races. PISSED ME OFF BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    i thought he ran well for a firster 109.1 3/4 finished in 13 .1 i know thats slow but not bad for 2 yr old 1ster i would say ran faster to 3/4 than munnings . iknow he went a halk in 44 and change just saying he is a nice colt . he will probably go to goldophin before long.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2008
    It's true, they did go pretty fast early. So i guess they had a right to get tired.