Santa Anita's Pro-Ride surface getting favorable early reviews

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

Racing Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens gave a ringing endorsement on Saturday of the completely overhauled synthetic track at Santa Anita Park.

“This is the best track I’ve ever been on,” said Stevens, who estimated he has ridden on 200 to 300 hundred tracks around the world during his career.

Stevens breezed a horse on the surface on Saturday during an early-morning private session that attracted almost no media attention.

Stevens then delivered his glowing report to Santa Anita president Ron Charles; Ian Pearse, the Australian founder of Pro-Ride synthetic surfaces who oversaw the renovation; Richard Tedesco, Santa Anita’s track superintendent; and Ted Malloy, lead track consultant for Santa Anita’s parent company, Magna Entertainment Corp.

“Wow, this is huge,” said Charles, who, along with the others, was standing on the track during the test run. “I’ve never seen Ian [Pearse] this happy.”

During a later interview, Stevens repeated his endorsement.

“If this track is maintained properly and it remains as it is today, I can truthfully say it’s the best track I’ve ridden on,” said Stevens, who has been riding regularly in the mornings at Del Mar in preparation for a legends race during the Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita Park.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    I hope the track is good as stevens believes it is.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2008
    I'm looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday, that's for sure...
    edited September 2008
    Yes I am too. I want to see how this pans out. How many win and your in races does santa anita have this weekend.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Interesting question. I know there are a plethora of BC preps this coming weekend. Personally though, i think the win-and-you're-in program is pretty much a joke. Any horse who wins those races would most likely qualify for the Breeders Cup anyway, and of course they don't affect the BC-ineligible status of certain European or Southern Hemisphere horses who would have to put up some huge supplemental fees.

Crossing the Line (winner of last year's "Win and You're In" Del Mar Mile) makes a perfect example.
    edited September 2008
    to be honest i really don't like the win and your in program because any horse can win one race but I think think you need to look at a horses whole year then just one race.