Hall of Fame jockey hangs up tack

TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
edited September 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Arlington Heights, IL (Sports Network) - After more than 43 years of guiding thoroughbreds at some of the best racetracks in North America, Hall of Fame jockey Earlie Fires has retired from the sport. The 61-year-old Fires rode his final race Sunday at Arlington Park.
Fires closed his historic career as the all-time winningest jockey at Arlington Park with 2,866 victories. He finishes his Hall of Fame career with 6,470 wins, ninth among career victories, and more than $86 million in purses won.

"I wanted to retire on my terms," said Fires. "I don't have any regrets. I will miss the Illinois people, especially at Arlington Park. This crowd has always been a good crowd and I love that more than anything in the world. I'm going to travel but I'll still be around to visit."

The Arkansas-native was fifth in his final ride in the fifth race at Arlington aboard Manchu Prince on the track's last program of 2008.

Fires was voted into the Racing Hall of Fame in 2001 after becoming the dominant rider on the Chicago racing circuit.

Arlington Park chairman emeritus Richard Duchossois announced that an Earlie Fires Day will be held at the racetrack during the 2009 season.