Horse Racing - Saturday

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2007 in Horse Racing Forum
Arlington - Race 8 (The Beverly D.)

#4 Lady of Venice (9/2 ml)

Extremely tough field here (obviously), but i think the race sets up perfectly for her. There's a lot of speed up front, and the ground today will reportedly be a little deep and tiring. That should set it up for Lady of Venice's powerful late run. She's handled soft ground very well in the past, so no problem there. In fact, it gives her an edge on those who might not like it. Main concern is that she's never run this far before, but Biancone/Leparoux faced the exact same situation with Gorella in this race last year, and she came through with flying colors. Looking for a big run out of this filly today.

HRT record:

6 for 18 (33%)

$52.90 mutuels ($8.82 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Saratoga - Race 2

#2 The Leopard (8/5 ml)

$2.5 million 2yo purchase for Pletcher went off @ 2/5 in his debut, and ran extremely well behind the super-impressive winner Fed Watcher. Pletchers hits at 30% with second-time 2yo's @ Saratoga, and this horse comes in off a heads-up drill with the older multiple stakes-winner Sunriver, who's entered in the Arlingtom Milion today. Going further, his main adversary Immortal Eyes (who also ran great in that Fed Watcher race) was entered on July 25 (coming off a heads-up drill with Fed Watcher), and was scratched. He didn't record another work until August 5, so something might be amiss here.
    edited August 2007
    Just saw The Leopard is 3/5 with 15 mtp.

Cancel that; NO PLAY.
    edited August 2007
    The Leopard wins @ $3.20........not that i played him. Just as in his debut, he was outrun early and took a while to get his feet under him. In fact, at the sixteenth pole i thought there was no was he would catch Immortal Eyes. He really put in a nice run though once Velazquez shifted him to the outside (which cost him even more ground). It's not like Imortal Eyes was stopping either; they hit the wire in 1:09.80, which is flat-out flying over the Saratoga dirt. You don't see that from 2yo's real often. Really looks like The Leopard will improve notably around two-turns, and he appears to be a major Triple Crown prospect at this point. Maybe the best in the country.
    edited August 2007
    Saratoga - Race 5

#1 Midnight Slammer, #1A Yukon Gold Rush (6/5 ml)

Another big favorite here, but this entry is incredibly strong, and they just opened @ even-money (which i'm willing to take). Midnight Slammer contested an exceptionally fast pace on July 20, moving faster than the super-impressive 2yo winner Riley Tucker, and also faster than an open-lengths 3yo allowance winner on the same card. Faded back to third, but again, the final time was extremely fast, and it was 7 lengths back to the rest of the pack. This horse was really moving. His entrymate Yukon Gold Rush just missed in his debut (at Saratoga), and you get him just for good measure. Might not be a bad idea to bet to place also, as the entry could easily run 1-2 here.
  • FLYBYNIGHTFLYBYNIGHT Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    Saratoga - Race 5

#1 Midnight Slammer, #1A Yukon Gold Rush (6/5 ml)

Another big favorite here, but this entry is incredibly strong, and they just opened @ even-money (which i'm willing to take). Midnight Slammer contested an exceptionally fast pace on July 20, moving faster than the super-impressive 2yo winner Riley Tucker, and also faster than an open-lengths 3yo allowance winner on the same card. Faded back to third, but again, the final time was extremely fast, and it was 7 lengths back to the rest of the pack. This horse was really moving. His entrymate Yukon Gold Rush just missed in his debut (at Saratoga), and you get him just for good measure. Might not be a bad idea to bet to place also, as the entry could easily run 1-2 here.

3/5 with 5 min to post.............(N)
    edited August 2007
    Yeah....Midnight Slammer won easily @ $2.90, but was an obvious pass. That being said, since i was unable to say "cancel" before the race started, i'll have to count it. Incidentally, he was also a pass in the place pool, because last i saw (roughly 1 mtp) the entry had $48k in the place pool. Nobody else had more than $6k. Lots of people thinking the same thing, i guess.
    edited August 2007
    Almost forgot. The Leopard and Immortal Eyes ran nearly two seconds faster than Midnight Slammer. WOW.
    edited August 2007
    Arlington - Race 7 (The Secretariat)

#2 Admiralofthefleet (3/1 ml)

This horse comes out of BY FAR the best race, and wasn't beaten by a whole lot. He also likes soft ground.
    edited August 2007
    Admiralofthefleet went off @ 9/5, and was buried on the rail behind a wall of horses into the stretch. Never had a chance after that...
    edited August 2007
    Lady of Venice just got out-kicked to the wire, and had to settle for third. No excuse.
    edited August 2007
    Arlington - Race 9 (The Arlington MIllion)

#3 Doctor Dino (6/1 ml)
    #8 Danak (5/1 ml)

I'm betting both horses here, as the two American horses (currently the two favorites on the toteboard) are liable to knock each other out on the front end here, especially with the course being deep and tiring. Neither horse has raced on soft ground, either. Meanwhile, Danak comes out of a key race in Europe. The winner (Notnowcato) came back to win the Coral-Eclipse (beating the English Derby winner and Arc favorite Authorized), while the second-place finisher Dylan Thomas came back to win the King George. Third-place finisher Youmzain is an outstanding animal also. Doctor Dino ran close to Dylan Thomas himself, then went to Singapore for a big race where he ran close again. He has a history of running well on soft ground.
  • MLB TotalsMLB Totals Member
    edited August 2007
    How ya bettin both of them DC?

Both to WPS? In Exactas?

Whatcha think?
    edited August 2007
    Well, i was right about Sunrver and The Tin Man both getting beat, and i STILL lost. That sucks. Bad day so far...

MLB Totals: I bet 60% on Danak to win, 40% on Doctor Dino to win, and boxed them in an exacta.
  • MLB TotalsMLB Totals Member
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the reply and the selections DC.

Unfortunately it didn't work out for us.

No big deal. Thanks a bunch for continuing to post here.

Not sure if you like to bet bases, but the Tigers are a good play tonight.

Good Luck and thanks again
    edited August 2007
    Del Mar - Race 5

#10 My Little Margie (5/1 ml)

European import for McAnally has been training extremely well, and looks like a major threat in here. She was actualy entered straight into allowance company (vs. males) for her first two starts overseas before cruising to an open-lengths score while in hand when finally given her chance vs. maiden fillies. She was apparently very-highly regarded over there as well, getting bet to 4/5 and even-money in her last two starts (vs. reasonably large fields). Looks like a private purchase for the Kirkwoods, who have had some big-time horses with McAnally in the past.
    edited August 2007
    My Little Margie went off @ 5/1 and ran third. She was probably best, but was stuck in traffic most of the way and couldn't get clear until it was WAY too late. When she finally saw some daylight around mid-stretch, she split horses and was gaining rapidly. Should be very tough to beat next time out.
    edited August 2007
    Del Mar - Race 8

#3 Karazi (8/1 ml)

French import for Sadler has been training lights-out for this one, and Sadler has been phenomenal with foreign acquisitions of late. He got gigantic runs out of Crossing The Line and Black Mamba, neither of whom was entered in a stakes race for their American debut. So it's a big sign of confidence that he drops this horse straight into the Grade 2 La Jolla Handicap. No easy spot., but i'm certain this horse is very live. Incidentally, the other two Sadler imports i mentioned were sent here for Double Down Stables. This one is not; but he's apparently a private purchase by Edmund Gann, who had a ton of success with private purchases for Bobby Frankel over the years. Looking for a big run out of this horse.
    edited August 2007
    That's a typo........Karazi goes in Race 9

Sorry for any confusion.
    edited August 2007
    Karazi went off @ 13/1 and finished off the board. He did run very well though. He was knocked around leaving the gate to be off slowly, then was buried along the inside before the jockey eased him out the back and then tried to circle the field. Not exactly the trip you want against stakes horses. He came running very well through the lane, and missed second by a length while moving fastest of all. Should be tough next time out, probably in the Del Mar Derby.