Curlin.............Going to California

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Good grief. I think Curlin has become horseracing's version of Brett Favre or Roger Clemens. I suspect that owner Jess Jackson is going to milk this thing for all the publicity it's worth, to the point where we might not get an official confirmation until pre-entries are taken.

I mean, who does he think he's kidding? Curlin heads cross-country to Santa Anita immediately after his win in the Jockey Club Gold Cup, but he's "just going there to train". Gimme a break. If they were sooooo worried about the surface he's running on, then they probably should've scratched from the Jockey Club Gold Cup after the racetrack turned into a sea of mud. And regarding the uncertainty of the synthetic surface, keep in mind that Curlin has trained over the Keeneland polytrack on numerous occasions. I believe he's been pointed at the Classic since Day One, or at least since they decided to keep him in training after his win in the Dubai World Cup early this year.

Anyway, here's the latest article on the situation, of which i'm sure there will be many more....

from Bloodhorse:

It didn’t take majority owner Jess Jackson and trainer Steve Asmussen long to make plans for Curlin, winner of the Sept. 27 Jockey Club Gold Cup Invitational (gr. I) at Belmont Park. The colt departed Belmont Park Sunday morning and is on way to Santa Anita and a possible confrontation with Big Brown in the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I).

“He is scheduled to arrive early this afternoon,” said Michael J. Harlow, Santa Anita's director of racing, the morning of Sept. 28.

Following the Gold Cup, Jackson said. “First we’ll have to get him adjusted. But it is up to him whether he likes the track and the surface. So, those are concerns we still have. But we’ll consider it now that we’re past this hurdle. That’s the next prospect for us and we’ll give it every bit of attention. I am being very cautious and doing my due diligence first.”

Asmussen, speaking by phone emphasized that they are not committing Curlin to the BC Classic at this point.

“He came out of the (Gold Cup) great. What we decide will only matter according to how he is on that race track. We’re going to California to work him, and nothing past that,” he said.

Comments

• HORSEMAN123HORSEMAN123 Junior Member
    edited September 2008
    Well I was at Belmont Saturday and the track certainly was a sea mud. But I will tell you CURLIN is the best thing that's happened to Horse racing in a very long time. Assmussen and Jackson are definately taking full advantage of Curlin but can you blame them. Curlin is the best in the world right now and horse racing needs a hero. He will run in the Breeders' Cup because horse racing needs it. Don't forget these other minority owners who trying to make them sell Curlin. That's the real joke.