article on Zarkava and the Arc

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Independent:

If recent history is against Zarkava, the weather gods are on her side. They also abetted Akiyda, the last three-year-old filly to win the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe 26 years ago, writes Julian Muscat.

The common link between them is their owner-breeder, the Aga Khan.

Just as heavy ground complemented Akiyda's stamina, quick going at Longchamp will play to Zarkava's strengths.

To see her tackle her elders for the first time on Sunday is a prospect fraught with emotion.

Victory is imperative. Conditions dictate that there can be no excuse for the imperious, unbeaten filly.

It will not be easy. It never is in the Arc, a race that devours reputations. Yet Zarkava does not trade on reputation alone. Her hallmark acceleration has swept aside all-comers, none of which have managed to stay within two lengths of her at the finish.

A similar denouement on Sunday would leave a legacy unmatched by any other filly to this observer of 30 years.

John Gosden made a fair point after Raven's Pass's Queen Elizabeth II Stakes victory when he described the three-year-old milers as a vintage collection.

They have won every all-aged mile race in Europe, although none has been dominant.

The irony is that the recent dry spell renders the Arc much harder to win for the presence of Duke Of Marmalade. But that's just as it should be.

Duke Of Marmalade has his own agenda: a sixth successive Group 1 triumph that would demand his own inclusion in the hall of fame.

Somehow, however, victory for him would be more rump steak than fillet. Fulfilling but certainly not mouth-watering. Duke Of Marmalade is a fearsome galloper propelled by giant lungs.

The difference is in the twin towers of greatness: Zarkava was born with what Duke Of Marmalade has acquired along the way.

Duke Of Marmalade is by some distance the main threat to Zarkava. His stablemate, Soldier Of Fortune, has not run for more than three months, having by accident or design missed a couple of mooted prep races.

He would also fare better on easy ground, a remark that applies to Getaway, Vision D'Etat and Youmzain. Then you are into the rags.

Among their number are Meisho Samson, the Japanese challenger, who has not won for 11 months, and Papal Bull, for whom victory, despite his undeniable ability, would mock the concept of the Arc as a championship decider.

No, the outcome rests between Duke Of Marmalade and Zarkava. Anything less would be hard to swallow.

As well as the Arc, which is widely regarded in the racing industry as Europe's middle-distance championship decider, Duke Of Marmalade is short-listed for the Breeders Cup Classic.

That multi-million dollar contest, which brings the Breeders Cup meeting to a close in late October at California's Santa Anita track, could be on the agenda as well for Saturday's Ascot runner-up Henrythenavigator.

This season's dual 2,000 Guineas hero, clearly ill at ease on the loose, watered ground at the Berkshire venue when outpointed by old rival Raven's Pass, is a possible competitor in both the Classic and the earlier Mile.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Note:

The above article mentions her "tackling elders for the first time on Sunday". That's incorrect. She beat older fillies and mares in her latest run, the Prix Vermielle. Incidentally, that was one of three course-and-distance preps at Longchamp that day, and Zarkava's final time was 2 full seconds faster than the other two races (which were both for males, btw). One of thosewas won by fellow undefeated Arc entrant Vision D'Etat.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    He is almost right, but probably not intentionally. Although recently (I think last year, maybe 2 years ago) the race was restricted to 3YO's, that changed but I'm not sure anyone over there knows yet. LOL
    There were no mares in that race. Just 2 4YO fillies.

Also, her time in the Vermeille tied a stakes record. I can't play her in the Arc, but shaping up to be (as always) a great race to watch. Duke of Marmalade at 5/2 or better for me is a bet if the track is not too heavy.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2008
    Just read this morning that they're expecting rain. First i've heard of that. Great news for me, as i'm holding out hope that Duke of Marmalde will pass the race head to the Classic (though he could still do both).

Zarkava has won on soft grouind more than once, so i don't think it would be much of an issue for her either way.