Mast Track to Classic

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited October 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Bobby Frankel has switched gears and will run Hollywood Gold Cup (G1) winner MAST TRACK (Mizzen Mast) in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (G1) instead of the $1 million Dirt Mile.

"With Big Brown out, it changes the picture," Frankel said Wednesday morning. "My horse has speed, and he can get the distance. He won the Gold Cup at a mile and a quarter."

Frankel, who also owns Mast Track, is Oak Tree's all-time leading conditioner with 269 wins. Mast Track has a 5-2-1 record from 12 starts, with earnings of $734,622.

Tyler Baze, who rode Mast Track to a front-running, 2 1/4-length upset victory in the June 28 Gold Cup at 10-1 odds, will ride Mast Track in the Classic after a two-race absence. Rafael Bejarano rode the four-year-old colt to a third-place finish in the Pacific Classic (G1) two starts back, and John Velazquez was aboard in his last start, an eighth-place finish in the Goodwood S. (G1) on September 27.

"I guess Bobby figured Tyler was the last one to win a Grade 1 million-dollar race on him at a mile and a quarter," said Baze's agent, Ron Ebanks, in explaining the reunion. "Tyler was available, so he put him on. I was looking at another horse or two. I got offered Mast Track and I jumped on him, because they were lucky together, and the Classic is setting up without much speed, so it could be a big opportunity. We've got a chance to get lucky here. Tyler's very excited. You've got to turn the page in this business. The last race is over with. We're looking at the next one."

Frankel also plans to run CHAMPS ELYSEES (GB) (Danehill) in the Classic. Alan Garcia will ride.