J Be K out of the BC Sprint

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

J Be K is out of the Oct. 25 Sentient Flight Group Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) at Santa Anita, according to Sobhy Sonbol, racing manager for Ahmed Zayat’s Zayat Stables.

Sonbol said the son of Silver Deputy will instead point for a 4-year-old campaign. J Be K is currently at Santa Anita with trainer Steve Asmussen.

“He jammed himself up pretty good in the Vosburgh (grade I, Sept. 27 at Belmont Park where he finished fifth, beaten 7 ½ lengths) and maybe the off track had something to do with it,” Sonbol said. “He deserves to be in the Sprint with those other horses, but after the Vosburgh, we decided it would be in the horse’s best interest to back off of him for him now and bring him back next year.”

Bred in Kentucky by Glory Days Breeding, J Be K , who is out of the Valid Wager mare Major Wager, has a career record of 5-1-0 from nine starts and has earned $440,200. He has stakes wins this year in the Woody Stephens (gr. II) , Bay Shore (gr. III), and Jersey Shore (gr. III) Stakes.

“He deserves to be a grade I winner, so we want to rest him and bring him back next year and give him the opportunity to fulfill his ability," said Sonbol. "It’s good to have a horse running at 4. He is a very talented colt, and you don’t get a horse like him too often.”