Mast Track Out of BC Classic

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited October 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Mast Track Has Quarter Crack; Will Not Run. Breeders’ Cup Classic candidate Mast Track, considered likely to set the pace in the race, was found to have a quarter crack today, and he is now out of the Breeders' Cup Classic. Mast Track was also pre-entered for the Dirt Miile.

“They were shoeing him this morning at the barn, and they discovered a quarter crack," trainer Bobby Frankel said. Frankel first said he would check Mast Track in the morning "and then we’ll make a call. He might not run. We’ll have to see how bad it is.”

But later in the day, according to Breeders' Cup, Frankel waved the white flag. "I guess it wasn't meant to be," Frankel said. "If he was 6-5, it would be upsetting. Maybe I'm saving myself some money."

Mast Track worked five furlongs at Santa Anita on Sunday in 1:00 and walked the shedrow this morning.

Frankel is the owner, breeder and conditioner of Mast Track. He also trained his sire (Mizzen Mast) and dam (Nawal). The Kentucky-bred has won five of 12 starts and $734,622, including a wire-to-wire triumph in the Hollywood Gold Cup in June.

“I’ve got to put up that $125,000 to put him in that race,” Frankel had said earlier in the day. “It’s not some other owner’s money. To be honest, I don’t know if I can win that race. Probably can’t. But I think he can get a piece. One thing I know for sure, he’ll be in front.”

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    I was watching tvg and over heard that Frankel said that the quarter crack wasnt that bad and he didnt need a patch so he put him in the mile....